Thursday, January 19, 2012

Winning Words 1/19/12
“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.” (Jimi Hendrix) Some have described Jimi as the best guitar player…ever. His first guitar was a broomstick. He came out of an unstable home, but was able to find a sanctuary in music. I’d be interested to know the context of today’s quote. There’s a “depth” to some people that is beyond our seeing. Why not look for that depth in the people you meet today? ;-) Jack

FROM BEC IN MICHIGAN: Yes, you are a polymath.////FROM JACK: I don't know about that, but as far as music is concerned, I'm eclectic.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: I will try to be aware today!////FROM JACK: That's a wise decision.

FROM DRPL IN MICHIGAN: Another great guitar player and probably even a better musician was Chuck Berry. I just watched a documentary called "Chuck Berry-Hail to Rock n roll" I never knew much about him, but when you hear other musicians such as Keith Richards and Bruce Springstein talk about the technical aspect of his music it's rather unbelievable.////FROM JACK: I first learned to appreciate the electric guitar listening to Les Paul. I think that I'll go to uTube for "The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise." Chet Atkins is another favorite of mine.

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN: wanted to thank you for each morning sending me quotes....I awake and look forward to the words! They are are so energizing and thought provoking... after my saying how grateful I am for the day and for what I am blessed.. Your words are next :)////FROM JACK: I've always been an early riser. I try to go online with Winning Words when I get up...for the very reason you've expressed. Thanks for letting me know that you're an appreciator.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: There's depth and wisdom we don't often look for in fellows around us but it's there all the same. We need to listen and watch more often.////FROM JACK: Try looking for the depth in Kid Rock, Madonna and Emnem. If it's in Jimi, it's in them, too.////MORE FROM THE OUTHOUSE: Each of them has a wonderful mind and a true gift for me. Kid Rock has a true love for Detroit. Madonna is a converted Jew. Ennem has a gift of working with all kinds of very different people. Perhaps they are filled with more than the eye can see but the heart knows.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Along this line I have found that I rarely learn anything if I am talking.////FROM JACK: That's right, but sometimes listening and talking are necessary for clarification. Even the "talker" has to listen once in a while.////MORE CL: My experience in sales is that people do not listen they are to busy getting ready to respond rather than listening to what is being shared.////FROM JACK: I've found that being a pastor is something like being in sales.

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: This kind of reminds me of Stephen Covey's 5th habit: Seek first to understand then to be understood. I actually have that written on my white board in my office right now.////FROM JACK: Covey's quotes are usually good ones. I was in a high school recently and saw a Covey quote printed boldly on one of the walls. I wish I could remember what it was.////MORE FROM PFC: When I was a kid, I thought they were saying, "Isle of a Mystery."////FROM JACK: That's Fantasy Island. "Da plane. Da plane."



No comments: