Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winning Words 1/18/12
“All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are moveable, those that are immoveable, and those that move.” (Ben Franklin) Ben’s birthday was yesterday (1706). In reading about him, I saw that he was described as a polymath (a new word for me), someone who knows a lot about many things. Galileo and da Vinci were like that. Can you think of others…even some in your own life? ;-) Jack


FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I would say you, Jack, are a polymath... & now you even know what it means! Happy belated birthday, Ben.////FROM JACK: I know a little about more than a few things. I am curious about many things.////LIZ AGAIN: My dad is a polymath, too. I strive 2 be...

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Polymath makes sense, poly meaning many. One of my favorite words is, opsimath, meaning one who learns late in life, opsi meaning late, and math means learning.////FROM JACK: Another new word...Thanks!

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: I thought the word was savant.////FROM JACK: Similar, but not the same...at least, as I understand it. I've known some polymaths, but no savants.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: Yes--My husband was like that! His birthday was Monday.////FROM JACK: I agree with you about that.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Professor Irwin Corey.////FROM JACK: In the Rocky and Bullwinkle TV show, there was a character named, Mr Know-It-all. I used to watch the show with my kids. I liked Irwin, too, especially the hair.

FROM ME IN CALIFORNIA: New word for me as well. Appropriate as it applies to my host here in Palo Alto where I am visiting this week, to whom I just sent the message.////FROM JACK: I like people who "know It' and are humble about knowing it. Which brings me to another interesting word, pedant.////MORE ME: An often used legal expression or argument is to characterize something as “form over substance”.////FROM JACK: Some sermons are like that, too.

FROM SH IN ILLINOIS: Now, I have a new word to describe Steve.////FROM JACK: I attended a meeting on Tuesday where the speaker talked about ALS and how it affected her dad. Many motor skills were lost, but t5he mental skills were as sharp as ever.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: They do...or think they do....////FROM JACK: Your response reminds me of some lines I was taught many years ago. "Though man a thinking being is defined, Few use the grand prerogative of mind. How few think justly of the thinking few! How many never think, who think they do!" (Jane Taylor)

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: Yes -look in the mirror.////FROM JACK: Before or after I put on my glasses? BTW, we once had a bishop with a hearing problem. I was talking to him, and he said, "Just a minute. I Have to put on my glasses." His hearing aids were built into his glasses.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Gary. I have great knowledge of not much but I have a lot of fun telling people about not much.////FROM JACK: You are a polymath when it comes to the privy.


No comments: