Saturday, November 19, 2011

Winning Words 11/18/11
“I don’t believe that stupid or dumb belong in my dictionary.” (Mickey Redmond) We are fortunate in Detroit to have “Hall-of-Famer” Mickey as one of our Red Wings’ announcers. He is reluctant to be overly critical of mistakes players make. He’s played the game and knows how difficult it is. A couple of words that I try to keep out of my vocabulary are “idiot” and “moron.” Do you have others? ;-) Jack

FROM BB IN MICHIGAN: I don't think I can write them on paper either.////FROM JACK: Spontaneous combustion?

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Back when Frank Gifford, Howard Cosell and Don Merideth were doing Monday Night Football, Cosell was being his arrogant, know-it--all self, putting down Frank and Don. "He, of course knew more about football than they did." Don responded with, "Remember, Howard, we played the game." Cosell was pretty quiet the rest of the game. Players make better announcers.////FROM JACK: Harry Carray never played the game, either, but the fans loved him...at least, many of them did.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Shut up are two words that are not heard within my range.////FROM JACK: My Aunt Nell used to say to me, "Tyst du!" which is "Shut up!" in Swedish. Does that count...especially when it was needed?

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Those are all words I don't use, plus also "fool" not like "fool someone" but "you, fool".////FROM JACK: You probably don't play April Fool's jokes on people, either.

FROM RJP IN FLORIDA: The word I try never to use is HATE. I really hate that word.////FROM JACK: What do you do when you come to Romans 12:9?

FROM JM IN MICHIGAN: I'm trying not to say such things as "liar" and "stubborn" and "bully" to some not-so-good-people.////FROM JACK: Luther explains one of the commandments by saying that we should fear and love God so that we speak well of our neighbor and explain his actions in the kindest way. Just as Isaiah, it is written, "My thoughts are not your thoughts," saith the Lord.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Stupid and dumb, words such as those words, were not allowed in our house growing up or now. They are considered swear words. I was just caught saying stupid when I was in the car with my youngest grandson...."Gramma, don't say stupid." PS We love our Red Wings and our Mickeyisms. ////FROM JACK: The Book of Proverbs has it right. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and he will not depart from it."





No comments: