Friday, November 11, 2011

Winning words 11/11/11
“The answer is blowin’ in the wind.” (Bob Dylan) When I was in grade school we used to stand for a minute of silence precisely at 11 am on Nov 11, remembering the date and time when World War 1 ended. Sadly, “The war to end all wars” did not end them, but we still remember Nov 11. A few miles from where I live, General Sherman gave his speech, including the words, “War is hell!.” It is! ;-) Jack


FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: I can remember my sister Jean and I would stand and face East at 11am because that is where the war ended....in the east. My Dad was a veteran from WW I and was Civil Defense Director of the QC area later in the 50s....he was also involved int he 40s in the "blackouts" that we would have. Since he was German ethnically (his Dad was an immigrant) and a veteran the FBI came and asked him to "identify" those from the German community who might be suspect....he said he knew of no one. I don't remember the second World War until around 1944 when we would "play" DDay, or later, Iwo Jima or whatever. Scary times.////FROM JACK: During the blackouts, I was on duty with my bike as a messenger boy (no cell phone). I wore an identifying arm band. I don't remember WW 1.

FROM DOCTOR J IN OHIO: like that you added Dylan to this… NICE!////FROM JACK: Peter, Paul and Mary are known for singing this song, but it really belongs to Dylan's heart and soul.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: indeed it is. i always think of the peter, paul and mary song, "where have all the flowers gone?". when will we ever learn?////FROM JACK: P, P & M had a way of getting there message across, through lyrics and tines that people identified with.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: It is......and that includes all kinds of wars including inter-personal skermishes. ////FROM JACK: Thanks for the reminder that "war is more" than army against army. Thought for the day: What is war, and why is it hell?

FROM MY FLORIST: My boys are keenly aware of the message delivered by General Sherman at the Michigan Military Academy. One thing about the Treaty of Versailles on 1919 is that it was an unforgiving peace. By that of course I mean the terms were to oppressive and ultimately lead to the 2nd World War. You can't get blood out of a rock. This vengeful, greedy peace was what caused the German folk to embrace a terrible course. From this lesson I have learned three things.
1. I was married on November 11th and as you well know its not always easy to seek a fair balance in your personal life. But only with forgiveness comes peace.
2. The only sustainable business model is one that allows every one to profit.
3. Being right is nice but being Dead right is worse than losing.
Well that's my two cents on this one.////FROM JACK: That makes a lot of sense for 2 cents. I think that the Marshall Plan, after WW 2, sought to address some of the problems associated with 11/11/18.


FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Back in those days, it was "Armistice Day." The new name is most fitting as an honor to all Of those who sacrificed so much. Side bar: My date of discharge from the SSMC was November 11.////FROM JACK: I wonder how many folks today know what the word, armistice, means.

ROM SA IN VEGAS: Once a week, PBS's News Hour shows the faces with name and rank of the service men and women that have given their lives in the current war(s). They do this in silence. The elementary school I have been substituting at lately has 30 seconds of silence every morning following the pledge of allegiance. But then, in the evening, I see a television commercial for a video game of soldiers in battle, the 'player' loses the game (dies), but then is instantly transported to a new game and is 'alive' again and laughing. Why is it some can profit from such poor taste? Can you imagine such a game being sold during WW1 or WW2? I think there would be outrage. Yet we use the same technology to keep in touch with loved ones overseas, through video-chat and the like. It is also used to reduce the human element when countries resort to violence to solve disagreements, such as drone planes, and most likely in the near future, drone solders. But at what cost? Eternal fire? Yup...war is hell.////FROM JACK: Mixed messages, to be sure. Learning begins in the home. What comes next? TV? School? Peers?

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA: When will we ever learn?////FROM JACK: I'll bet that you can sing the whole song. Seriously, I have my doubts about ever learning the lesson, and I'm an Optimist, too.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: At least we are not speaking Japanese or German unless we choose to do so. We count our blessings and seeing the WWII Memorial in Washington, D.C. is a very powerful experience for those of us who were teenagers during the war.////FROM JACK: In my opinion, the fact that English has become a common language throughout the world is not necessarily the result of winning WW2...but it could be. The teenagers of today will have memories different from ours. I wonder what they will be?


FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: Where did General Sherman give that speech? I haven't a clue.////FROM JACK: At the Michigan Military Academy (Orchard Lake Schools).

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Erich Remarque's book ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT from WW1 is one of he best war-deterrent books I ever read. Never forgot it! Anyone who has ever served in a war agrees that War IS hell. Bill served in the Navy, and always mourned the High School buddies and service friends who never returned home to marry, have children, and enjoy a "normal" life. Such a WASTE!!!!!!!!!////FROM JACK: So you agree with General Sherman!



No comments: