Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Winning Words 7/12/11
“Panic is not an effective long-term organizing strategy.” (Starhawk) I have a motto hanging by my desk: “If it weren’t for the last minute, a lot of things wouldn’t get done.” I confess, there’s a longtime reason why it’s there. These days I seem to be doing a lot of sorting and tossing of “stuff.” Things are looking more organized. Panic days are fewer. Are you a clean or messy desk person? I’m a tweener. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: messy desk person who doesn't do what I want to do and does what I don't want to do. I always hanker to be uncluttered but all my projects and the things I'm not getting done add up around here. Never thought about panic in connection with this but suppose, if I really knew how much time is left, I might be in a state of panic even right now. Today's is certainly one of your fire and brimstone WW.////FROM JACK: I've never been accused of preaching Jonathan Edwards types of sermons, but a sermon that I've preached many times is titled, "Come, Before Winter." The text is about Paul, sitting in prison, writing to young Timothy. He wants Timothy to bring him some things before winter closes sailing opportunities. If Timothy doesn't come before winter, it will be too late. My point...There are things that need doing...before winter.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Used to be a 'messy' (in my 20's & 30's) then a 'tweener' (40's). Now it's clean desk all the way, and it feels good!////FROM JACK: I "feel good" when I can go to the mess and know just where to find what I'm looking for. Instructions to others..."Don't mess with my mess!"

FROM LP IN PLYMOUTH: I'm a life-long messy desk person with recurring, but short-lived, aspirations of organization. ////FROM JACK: My problem is, that....when I clean off my desk, it just gets messy again.//// MORE FROM LP: A problem I have too. Hence my short-lived aspiration of organization. I figure if things had a home then they would go there. I just haven't gotten a system that works. My folks used to hate my version of cleaning. I'd dump everything out first (making a bigger mess) then put it back in some "order." I still do that to some extent.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: LOVE your motto...I've used MANY a last minute, and yes, in a panic, but got the job done, or the program completed, or the sermon prepared, (for Women's Sunday). Afraid I would fall into the messy desk category, but like you, periodically I sweep it clean. Cleaning is a last choice, behind all the fun and enjoyable alternatives! I have a funny frowsy cleaning lady figurine (given to me>>>) with the inscription "Housework Makes You Ugly". Good enough reason for me! Ha!////FROM JACK: Stereotypes: Women's Sunday, with women preaching -- Cleaning ladies -- Frumpy housewives. We've managed to live through it. We are who we were, as the saying goes.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I had an art teacher at St. Ambrose who was seemingly the messiest person on earth. Until you asked him to find something. He'd, without hesitation, go to the right pile and fish it out. His surroundings were a fright but his mind was organized.////FROM JACK: Plan your work, and work your plan. In the end--get the job done expeditiously!

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Let's just say I have my own "system."////FROM JACK: "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Definitely a clean desk person. I don't panic about too many things in life...perhaps I never have. I'm a calm clean person.////FROM JACK: An out of the ordinary kind of person.

FROM WATERFORD ANNE: Me too. I am a fairly tidy person. But i do enjoy some clutter around my desk area.
I also am clearing out a little. Jane Armstrong, a senior citizen from Birmingham, said we spend the first half of our lives collecting things and the second half getting rid of them. She knew. Jane was one of three sisters of an old American family. Generations of them had collected stuff and it ended with these sisters. They were pretty humorous chatting away to the craft group about how they were sorting it out and what they were going to do with it. Another of the fond memories and teachable moments.//// FROM JACK: That must mean that we're in the second half of our life.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: Your two choices are not what I would offer – I’d suggest ‘organized ’or ‘messy’. And I am organized, but that isn’t always good, for being organized frequently turns off some folks. What I have done is ‘downsized’ – which requires organizing.////FROM JACK: I've downsized, too, but today I wanted one of those sizes back. Alas!

FROM MEDD-O-LANE: The condition of anyone's filing system should not be described as orderly or messy
////FROM JACK: I didn't mean to mess with your orderly mind.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: That old example of asking 5 people to describe the accident the just witnessed, you get 5 different stories. We see what we want to see and we beleive it////FROM JACK: Or, ask five different people what they got out of Sunday's sermon.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Lots of truth in this statement. Excellent WW.////FROM JACK: Truth (or is it,beauty?) is in the eye of the beholder.

FROM RS NEAR ORLANDO: I am changed, as a student, and when took the boards both in Madison and here, I whistled right through the exams except for one organic chemistry class by Dr, Foy. I was a very neat person but no more, I have a kitchen table full of bookwork, as in full and I can't seem to be able to get done. I need to change, and one day I will, especially with other folks encouragement.////FROM JACK: When I have a "full table," I make a priority list and then start doing that which is #1. When #1 is accomplished, I cross it off and work on #2. It seems to work for me.














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

messy desk person who doesn't do what I want to do and does what I don't want to do. I always hanker to be uncluttered but all my projects and the things I'm not getting done add up around here. Never thought about panic in connection with this but suppose, if I really knew how much time is left, I might be in a state of panic even right now. Today's is certainly one of your fire and brimstone WW. Thanks.
S.H. in MI
S.H. in MI