Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Winning Words 5/31/11
“Hope is a talent like any other.” (Margaret Jameson) I like to think that hope and optimism go hand in hand. This week I was ready to “toss” some things. Among them I saw a bookmark labeled, Hope. On it was printed: “Hope pushes ahead when it would be easy to quit.” Optimism is like that. During those times when life is dark, let a candle of hope be your guide. “It’ll work out…I believe it. I know it.” ;-) Jack.

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: I am sick when I encounter people who are going through terrible trials and are not Faith Full people, I think how do they even begin to manage this? I pray for them like crazy and if the opportunity presents itself I say, just try to believe, try to open your self, ask for His help, after all what do you have to lose? I know it too!////FROM JACK: Sometimes your presence and example is more effective than words. A simple "I care" means a lot and can be a first step.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Today's WW reminded me of God speaking to Cain, I believe, early in Genesis: "If you do what is right, will not your countenance follow?" It seems not only is attitude and "hope" important (strategic) but doing the right thing (tactical) increases hope, optimism, and good will among men. Though maybe Cain is not the best example.////FROM JACK: I think that Cain is a perfect example, because it shows that God can use what is considered "imperfect" to make a "perfect" point.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Great message to start off a great week! We always have hope! I hope you recycled the bookmark as it would be a good thing to hand out to someone, especially someone you don't know! Hope surpasses optimism but they do go hand in hand. Hope you have a wonderful day and I am optimistic you will!////FROM JACK: Thanks for the reminder. I throw away a lot of stuff that I should keep....and keep a lot of stuff that I should throw away.

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: Those rose-colored glasses? We may be born with them. Why our brains tilt toward the positive (in spite of all the negative)////FROM JACK: I attended a lecture recently on the subject of genetics. What you say seems to make sense.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: Is it possible to live without hope?////FROM JACK: Theoretically, it's possible, but "hope" enables most of us to go on..and on...and on. That's what faith is about.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: We felt like that when we drove into Washington for Memorial Day and were anticipating lots of traffic. There was none to speak of and, from our experience, Memorial Day is a great day to be in Washington. The museum was not crowded, the streets were not crowded, the sidewalks were not crowded. I had never seen the city like this except during a snowstorm. The original flag flying over Fort McHenry when Francis Scott Key wrote our national anthem has been restored and has a new, beautiful display. We also saw a Model T like the one Mother and Dad eloped to St, Louis in July 1926 and had seven blowouts on the way.////FROM JACK: So, you had "pessimism" riding in the back seat! Maybe if you'd given a ride to "optimism," things might have turned out as you expected. What a thrill...to be able see the original Star-Spangled Banner.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Eleanor Roosevelt said once, that "hope is the most important word in the English Language." It is certainly one of them. I, too, am optimistic that things will work out, although I can't help but fret about the world we seem to be leaving our grandchildren and "greats". My life had been so blessed, and of course you want that for your children, et all. I've quoted this before, but Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, "The ultimate test of a moral society is what kind of world it leaves to its children"....I guess all we can do is impart our faith, and optimism, and try to leave our little corner of the world a better place! Live our lives for something that will outlast it!////FROM JACK: "If you had faith like this grain of mustard seed...." Other generations have fretted about what they are leaving to the coming generations. So, we tend to follow in their footsteps. "Fret not thyself...." My optimistic viewpoint is: "Do the best that you can, and let it go at that."

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS: I hope heaven is not perfect.....and their will be challenges and problems to solve and relationships to build and things that need to be fixed, and people who need to be hugged and loved and a common language so we can communicate....and God with his broad smiled and good humor , just like on earth////FROM JACK: That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that they wished for heaven not to be perfect. Your rationale seems to make sense. I would only say that God has a way of making the imperfect, perfect. You if you want for a common language and hugs, God will take care of that.//// MORE FROM AW: I think that facing challenges, struggling to overcome, completing work, resolving issues,and a sense of success are gifts from God and too precious not to have an afterlife..////FROM JACK:Another good response. I appreciate those that cause me to do a double-take. Most of the time we look at problem issues from the negative side, without noticing the positives that come...for example, the book by Dale Evans, "Angel Unaware."

FROM MOLINER JT: Great Wisdom !! You used my favorite word "Believe" I spoke at the Christian Friendliness annual banquet a few weeks ago. The topic "Believe". With this topic I could have spoken all night.////FROM JACK: Do you remember this song from Luther League days?
Only believe, only believe;
All things are possible, only believe,
Only believe, only believe;
All things are possible, only believe.








No comments: