Monday, November 15, 2010

Winning Words 11/15/10
“A smile is the shortest distance between two people.” (Victor Borge) VB was a classical pianist before he gave it up for stand-up comedy, using the piano as a prop. He put smiles on the faces of many people, including mine. A lot of songs have “smile” as a theme. Do you remember: “When you’re smilin’, the whole world smiles with you?” Do you have a favorite “smile” song? ;-) Jack

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: As a kid, I loved watching Victor Borge. What a genius! FROM JACK: Even though I saw some of the skits repeated, they always seemed to bring a smile to my face.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: makes me feel close to you! i'm smiling too. FROM JACK: That reminds me of a saying that my Aunt Nell would use: "He's smiling like a cat eating soap." Can't you just picture it?

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: Surprisingly, one of mine is Mack the Knife. It was popular when I was at Iowa in engineering - used to go to a local coffee shop and hear the song. But now I play a Bobby Darin hit, Beyong the Sea. FROM JACK: Good songs, but I'll have to check to see if there's a smile in them. Perhaps the smile is on your face when you hear them.

FROM JN IN MICHIGAN: My favorite Victor Borge recollection is from his appearance at the Fox Theater when he paused early in his performance as a couple walked to their third-row middle seats. He asked them where they were from and when they replied Grand Rapids, he said, "I'm from Denmark and I got here on time!" My favorite and bittersweet "smile" song has the line "Smile though your heart is breaking . . . ." FROM JACK: Your favorite smile song is from a Charlie Chaplin movie where he reaches over to softly move a sad girl's lips from being down-turned into a smile...as the song is played. We've all had those moments.

FROM MOLINER CF: She's 17 Diana Vickers - Smile X Factor 2008 Live Show 3 (Google it) FROM JACK: While Simon Cowell liked the rendition, I personally think that it lacks the poignancy of the Chaplin version. To make it work, there needs to be that "conflict" between being sad and trying to smile at the same time. This comment is not meant to take away from Diana's singing. MORE FROM CF: Good point. But she's just quirky enough to be different...and so was Chaplin.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: So true. I use this daily and most always works. It's irresistible--like the wagging of a dogs tale. A smile is one of the few free things you can give away that adds to your wealth and psyche as you give. FROM JACK: This world could use more smiling. As a song-writer, that's an idea for you to use.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: "There are Smiles that make you happy..." SMILE while your heart is aching, Smile Tho your heart is breaking..." "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, sure 'tis like a morn in Spring..." Ay, yes, the most effective face-lift IS a smile! When I traveled, I found it was the universal language! I hope we all remember how important it is to keep smiling!! (Except where it might be inappropriate...!~!) FROM JACK: "Keep smiling" reminds me of a line from another favorite SMILE song, "That's What Friends Are For." MORE FROM MO: My 8th grade chorus sang that at every graduation. We all loved it! Yes, "That's What Friends are Fir"! :-)

FROM SG IN TAMPA: When Irish Eyes Are Smiling. FROM JACK: When someone is said to have a twinkle in their eyes, does that mean their eyes are smiling? Just wondering....

FROM MOLINER TG: Here are two more: Let a smile be your umbrella: and Johnny Mercer's "You smile and the angels sing" FROM JACK: Your two SMILE songs remind me that there are so many good ones. It even makes you smile to remember them. BTW, Johnny Mercer could really write good songs.

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: Amazing grace. FROM JACK: Can you think of any hymns with the word, smile, in them?

FROM EKS IN MICHIGAN: I am enjoying reading your messages everyday, and I have to respond to this one, I am a songwriter, and I have written a song titled "Smile." I sing it to children as well as adults, and it does bring smiles to their faces.... FROM JACK: Perhaps you're willing to share your lyrics on the blog. The can use more smiles.

FROM MOLINE TG: Johnny Mercer did Skylark and Lazy Bones with Hoagy Carmichael. Others were Jeepers Creepers, One for My Baby, Laura, Dream, Autumn Leaves, Old Black Magic, I Remember You, Blues in the Night, Moon River, Days of Wine and Roses and many others. A very prolific song writer of very good stuff. If you haven't seen it get Clint Eastwood's "The Dreams on Me" the story of Mercer and his songs. Available on Amazon and it is excellent. FROM JACK: Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, with regard to WWs for 11/16, our mutual friend, Roy Gillen, was a very good whistler, and while he was working he sometimes would do a perfect imitation of Elmo Tanner's "Heartaches." You can Google it.

No comments: