Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Winning Words 1/5/10
“Sometimes it proves the highest understanding not to understand.” (Gracian) BG was a 17th century Spanish Jesuit who is known for his witty maxims and a writing style called conceptism. Today’s quote is an example of this. It caused me to do a double-take. Do I really understand what he’s saying? I think I do. That’s what it’s like with many happenings in life. Do you like enigmas? ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: I was talking with IE this morning and he gave me a clever follow up on today's WWs..."I'll see it, when I believe it." (Wayne Dyer)

FROM LK IN OHIO: Yes. Little choice but to deal with them. FROM JACK: You play the hand you're dealt.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: I'm often puzzled, yet I accept that there are many things I will never understand. FROM JACK: I like Proverbs 30: 18,19: "Four things I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship on the high-seas, and the way of a man with a maiden."

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: How about that "your ways are not my ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts" or
something like that in the Bible? God's probably the only One who can say that and the smartest, most understanding thing is not to fight with Him but to appreciate and be thankful to Him. With people seems like just fighting and trying to convince each other. I'm glad Gracian was a Jesuit, maybe our understandings are in the same ball park, my gut feeling is these Winning Words should be appreciated even if I don't think I fully
understand them. How many of your past Winning Words are like that?!!!!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: According to this writing...I am extremely intelligent! FROM JACK: Mensa material!

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Actually, I tolerate enigmas. Growing up in America in this generation I guess I am not as patient as I should be. Thats OK - Thats why it takes a lifetime to get a right perspective on life. FROM JACK: Go to your Bible....Proverbs 30:18,19.

FROM MOLINER CF: Just read on the Drudge Report that enigmas have been placed on the endangered species list. FROM JACK: I don't pay attention to gossip. MORE FROM CF: Never tasted an enigma, but I understand they are delicious dipped in chocolate and topped with whipped cream.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I do not like having my feet firmly planted in mid-air. That is what most enigmas do for me. FROM JACK: Maybe Ali was right...We float like a butterfly.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: In this modern world philosophy seems easy if you have your head on straight. What are puzzles to me are all the electronic things that my children and grandchildren know how to operate without even reading the instructions. FROM JACK: Your parents and grandparents probably thought the same thing about you....and so the beat goes on.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: That's what HUMILITY is....to understand that you don't understand and to be content with that....that means that we are human and not divine....it is a very wonderful thing to be human
FROM JACK: What is it about being human that makes it wonderful? People want our leaders to be divine, when, in reality, they're just like the rest of us. An enigma!

FROM MOLINER JT: I love enigmas but, do I understand this one, I think so.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: A conundrum? I guess it is hard to argue this point. Is he saying that we are wise not to question or ponder things that we can never understand as mortals; for which there seems to be no answers that we have the background or ability to understand? Just wondering,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about that "your ways are not my ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts" or something like that in the Bible? God's probably the only One who can say that and the smartest, most understanding thing is not to fight with Him but to appreciate and be thankful to Him. With people seems like just fighting and trying to convince each other. I'm glad Gracian was a Jesuit, maybe our understandings are in the same ball park, my gut feeling is these Winning Words should be appreciated even if I don't think I fully understand them. How many of your past Winning Words are like that?!!!!
S.H. in MI