Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Winning Words 1/27/10
“Sometimes you’ve got to jump off cliffs and grow wings on the way down.” (Ray Bradbury) Bradbury is well-known as a writer of speculative fiction. “I couldn’t go to college during The Great Depression, so I got my education by visiting the library.” Sometimes we have to make the best of life’s situations. I suppose that’s what he meant when he wrote about growing wings. ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: This seems to be the predominant method both sides of the political spectrum are using presently. A version of, ready, fire, AIM! FROM JACK: I guess what impresses me about Bradbury is that when he couldn't afford a college education, he made regular visits to the library. When one road is closed, you look for another. That's what I got from the quote. BTW, even when I aim, I sometimes miss the target.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Great quote, Jack! I'm giving a talk to a class of young entrepreneurs at Drexel University tomorrow. This is a perfect fit! FROM JACK: In the West Bloomfield area, we have a young entrepeneurs club. Older entrepeneuers get together, too. In fact, the leader of that group is a member of our Optimist Club.

FROM SF IN MICHIGAN: This reminds me of "Building the Bridge as You Walk on It" (Quinn?) or Nike's challenge: "Just Do It!" Sometimes we need to move out of our comfort zone and make our move! There is also a story in "Women Who Run with the Wolves" (Estes) that says "Go out in the woods...if you never go out in the woods, nothing will ever happen and your life will never begin." How true! FROM JACK: Life is great when you have time to think. Someone wrote to me and said that she only has time to read what she has to read. But sometimes, constraints just make it that way. I'm glad that you've been able to grow new wings.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: The essence of faith... I love this image! FROM JACK: The musical, Will Rogers' Follies, opens with the song, "Let's Go Flying." With our faith-wings, we can do that.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: I believe in some risk taking but just reading about jumping off cliffs gave me the creeps. FROM JACK: It's no problem if you have wings. Birds do it all the time. And, it's no problem if you're able to sprout wings on the way down. Faith can sometimes be a creepy thing.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: I was never able to verify this, but ..... When a baby eagle is ready to fly the mother eagle encourages the baby eagle to leave the nest by taking away all the comforting feathers woven into the nest. If this does not work, the mother eagle pushes the baby eagle out of the nest into a free fall. Meanwhile the father eagle is flying underneath and will catch or stop the fall by getting in between the baby eagle and the ground (e.g. carried on the wings of eagles). This process becomes how the baby eagle learns to fly. Have you heard this before? Is this correct? FROM JACK: When in doubt, Google, but don't believe everything you read. The reference is from the Bible and refers to God rescuing the fallen. Maybe some ornithologist knows.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I don't like heights but sometimes I am forced off the cliff anyway....God has always managed to catch me and He where I put my trust...not in my ability to grow wings, but that He give me what I need. FROM JACK: Heights never used to bother me, but, wings or no wings, don't stand me on the edge of a cliff now. Faith is a different story.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I think he's talking about being free enough to take risks. Starting my own business during a minor recession without $ was a big risk that I'm very thankful I took. FROM JACK: That's the mark of an entrepeneur....a person faith.

FROM MOLINER CF: Now, there's the true definition of Faith. FROM JACK: I'm glad that you approve. Since you've been married and are a father and a grandfather and also an entrepeneur, you know the importance of faith.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: If you want to walk on water you must get out of the boat. Just do it. FROM JACK: That's what Jesus told Peter.

FROM CL IN CALIFORNIA: Reminds me of If you want to walk on water you need to get out of the boat. Just do it. FROM JACK: With our "cold" weather, people around here are really doing just that.

FROM INDY GENIE: I wonder if he meant that for some of us that's the only way we'll ever know that we CAN grow wings! FROM JACK: That's a good thought; however, your sister would put it this way: "I wonder if she meant etc."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to walk on water you must get out of the boat. Just do it.