Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Winning Words 8/25/09
“The world hates change, but it is the only thing that has brought progress.” (Charles Kettering) A similar quote of his: “You can’t have a better tomorrow, if you’re thinking about yesterday all the time.” Kettering was an automotive pioneer with 140 patents. His life was about creating change for the better. We have a nearby school named for him. How appropriate. Schools create change. ;-) Jack

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: That is so true, and schools have changed so much, especially in the methods of teaching. That is why I enjoy Grandparents' Day in public, private, and Catholic schools in Florida, Texas, and Virginia. LIfe is very interesting. When I was teaching in Moline and and California, the mothers used to tell me how glad they were that school was opening. That thought has not changed through the years. FROM JACK: The Church changes; society changes; we change. But, in each instance, the basic truth remains. "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Even those things which prove wrong help us grow in the long run. Witness Edison et al.

FROM A.P. IN MICHIGAN: hmmmmm, I'm reading this as I'm unpacking in my 'new' school room. I will keep a lookout for the good things that come from this change. Thanks for your positive words -

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: Change is great-- if we learn from the past and build on it. We can see that change for the sake of change is a recipe for disaster. MORE FROM L: Change: not always good... AFL-CIO President Named Head of New York Fed... But neither was the status quo. A Goldman Sachs executive!!! FROM JACK: But, basically, we don't like change!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: This is so appropriate or me! I am the original foot dragger. I think that it is because it is familiar and I am happy with things. I have often said that if it was up to me we would still be lighting fires by rubbing sticks together. But that is not reality. I see it so often as I do not like to see all the
changes in my Mother and how all the grandchildren keep growing up, etc, etc. However, I read an article lately that spoke about changes, acceptance and the like. One of the statements really has stuck with me: Fight reality and you will lose every time! FROM JACK: Fight reality, and you will lose every time? I like it.

FROM ANONYMOUS: I am an Episcopalian. We have an openly gay, divorced bishop. Socially, I am a liberal person. But my question is this: when a Bible-based church does not follow the teachings of the Bible, doesn't it cease to be a church? FROM JACK: But my question, in return is: Who interprets the Bible for you? Even if one takes the Bible literally, different dpeople have different ideas as to what the words mean. We are most comfortable when we have an authority that we can trust. So, we choose on that basis.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Who is the judge of what needs changing? One man's feast is another man's poison. Change needs to be very carefully thought out, and then applied with the consent of the "changees." FROM JACK: You are the judge, unless you don't believe that you were created with a free will. Some people stubbornly say, "Nobody's gonna change me," and then they eventually die.

FROM C.S. IN WISCONSIN: We went back to IL for a visit this weekend. This quote really was appropriate for our weekend…we saw lots of change – did it bring progress? It sure has brought a lot of people, new businesses to our area, also the decline of wonderful farmland too. Our home in Woodstock was surrounded by blue spruce and pines we had planted as seedlings. These trees are now HUGE and really have enclosed the house to be a secluded looking place – one I’m not fond of when we drive around looking at homes…I love to see people’s homes instead of looking at seclusion. Will the new owners change it? Maybe they enjoy the
“progression” of the growing. We drove past where Bob grew up on Hunt Club Road and found his growing up years’ home taken over by weeds and vines growing up the walls of the house…not pretty. It is waiting for “progress” to happen – strip mall, gas station, McDonalds, a bank? His whole old neighborhood looked the same. We drove past the five acre tract that my father built homes on – beginning when I was 4 or 5 years old. They are still standing proudly. The present owners are still maintaining them well – even looked at one home built before I was born and it still looks great. He did a good job of making his “progress” do well. Our playing fields of wildflowers are now covered with homes and nicely landscaped. As we drove down Washington Street past Almond Rd. heading east to Gurnee, Bob comments about remembering that Washington Street had been a two lane gravel road and it is now 6 lanes paved. Hunt Club Road was gravel also when he was a kid and is now 6 paved lanes…lots of traffic and congestion! Shepherd of the Lakes looks so
different with all the new additions. My youngest sister still worships there, but they are in deep financial stress and may end of having to merge with another congregation to keep it afloat. That was sad to hear!
So I guess with change comes progress, but is it always for the better? FROM JACK: I remember the old saying: You can't go home again. It helps to have a good memory.

FROM RJP IN FLORIDA: I would challenge Kettering. Holding steady courses on values can also bring progress. Stalin, Hitler, Napoleon, Mao, also brought change but not progress. Luther brought change and that was progress. I think we should not always feel that change is progress. What we see happenning today is in many ways regression not progression. No not others thoughts........ mine...............We can disagree but don't worry, I still love you ..............Wanta have lunch at the Crash Landing???? FROM JACK: That's right...
challenge a dead man. But of course, all change that happens is to our liking, but, in one form or another, it happens.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: We may hate change, but it is what makes life interesting - and when change ceases for us, life has ended! So I look forward to the change that comes with each day ! And there is a lot of change to note!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your Winning Words today, Pastor Freed. I can only speculate that the world might hate the change brought about by the Churchwide Assembly last week. I liked it but I do wonder now, with everyone having to think even more about sex, if the hypocracies of us hetereosexuals will now be being brought even more out into the light. We'll all have to be examining our own sexual behaviors now in light of the Bible and the Gospel. Before I think we might have ignored this largely because we have always had so many other issues to examine. Leastwise that's what I have observed in my own little millieau.
Thanks for your quote which made me think of this, my response.
Peace,
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

I am an Episcopalian. We have an openly gay, divorced bishop. Socially, I am a liberal person. But my question is this: when a Bible-based church does not follow the teachings of the Bible, doesn't it cease to be a church?