Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Winning Words 8/19/09
“There are two ways of meeting difficulties. You alter the difficulties, or you alter yourself to meet the difficulties.” (Phyllis Bottome) I found it interesting that this writer was, at one time, an instructor for Ian Fleming. I.F.’s James Bond always seemed to find a way to alter difficulties. If only real life were like that. Most of the time, it’s a matter of adjusting. ;-) Jack

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: This series is so timely. My immune system is running amok and I'm facing the possibility of some nasty treatments. Prayers, the 'steroid high' and my own short attention span are in my favor. I managed nearly a whole day of a pity party and then got bored with that. It is what it is.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: My husband and I watched a Nicholas Cage movie last night..."Next". He is able to see his future but only 2 minutes ahead. He was able to alter his future just by knowing two minutes ahead. It was an interesting idea. On the DVD, we watched the outtakes of the movie also. The other "star", Jennifer Beal was asked if she would want to know her future and she said no. I feel the same way. I would say we do alter the way we deal with events...we have too...it's the only way to deal with life. We can't alter the future or past or present, but we can alter the way we look at all of it. FROM JACK: That sounds like an interesting movie. I'm thinking....How would it be to see two minutes into the future?

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: I really, really like your Winning Words this morning. Especially they are pertinent as my church has just finished up a summer of watching and discussing movies. I'm just taking
a few minutes here, trying to figure out if mostly movies would have a plot where the circumstances would be altered, that probably makes a movie we really like, our fantasies become true on the screen, or if there has been a movie where a person has adjusted.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Remember the old tailor in downtown Moline? FREE ALTERATIONS. Never changed your legs. Always adjusted your pants. FROM JACK: Yes, I do...on 7th Ave, between 15th & 16th Sts.

No comments: