Friday, July 31, 2009

Winning Words 7/31/09
“If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If want happiness for a month, get married. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone.” (Chinese Proverb) Which of the five will you work on today? I’m going to read again, the Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: This is an insightful, though somewhat amusing, bit of advice. Of those various activities suggested, helping someone can bring personal satisfaction way out of proportion to the little effort expended. As for my own happiness today...I'm keeping it simple, I'm taking a nap. FROM JACK: That's good for an hour.

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: If I take a nap today, I hope it will be because I'll have more energy to help others,
if I go fishing, I hope I'll share the food, I have discovered over the years that I got married to help my husband, my offspring and my community, If I inherit a fortune or win the lottery, I will definitely give a big chunk of it to the church and to charities. Well, that's my schedule for today. The only one thing I know for sure I'll be doing is being married and helping someone.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: Nap

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I'm not sure I agree with the marriage and fortune ones, but do like the others.

FROM J.E. IN MICHIGAN: This is a great one.

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: I'm so sad that happiness of marriage lasts less than the inheritance in this proverb. FROM JACK: As Walter Cronkite used to say, "And that's the way it is." Too bad!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Some of the people are happy all of the time and all of the people are happy some of the time , but all of the people are not happy all of the time. Abe Press FROM JACK: If you're happy, and you know it, clap your hands.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Well, I would like to work on inheriting a fortune, but I don't know anyone wealthy (at least not weathly with money) so I guess I will do something nice for someone else today. Happy Friday!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: After you read it, What? FROM JACK: Somebody asked me to preach on Sunday. An emergency had come up. I said, "Yes."

1 comment:

Sharon K. Hall said...

If I take a nap today, I hope it will be because I'll have more energy to help others,
if I go fishing, I hope I'll share the food,
I have discovered over the years that I got married to help my husband, my offspring and my community,
If I inherit a fortune or win the lottery, I will definitely give a big chunk of it to the church and to charities.
Well, that's my schedule for today.
The only one thing I know for sure I'll be doing is being married and helping someone.
S.H. in MI