Thursday, July 23, 2009

Winning Words 7/23/09
“Six faults ought to be avoided by one seeking prosperity in this world: sleep, sloth, fear, anger, laziness, prolixity.” (Unknown) I’ll try to keep this short. If you want to get ahead in this world, look at the above list and try to do the opposite. Now, which fault should we tackle first? ;-) Jack

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I've missed you. I have been having computer problems. Is that why I have not heard from you this week? Our Bible Study group went to a Muslim Mosque yesterday. It is all very interesting. I know that you have been in involved with ecumenical groups for a long time. My thoughts are that this is the only way the world will ever get along--accepting and trying to undersatnd other beliefs. In fact, I think that we are all a product of our culture and upbringing and if we had been born in the middle East we could easily be them. I find the common heritage and close geograghic proximity of those regions to be very significant. Their belief that Abraham was commanded to sacrifice his son Ishmael (no mention of Isaac) puts an interesting spin on everything. And mentioning his wife Hagar (no mention of Sarah), ditto. What are your thoughts on this? Am I getting the facts right? I love your opinions. JACK'S REPLY: I've been on vacation in Wisconsin for a week. In my opinion you are right...getting along in this world means having a better understanding of of one another. Muslims and Jews (and Christians) all trace their faith heritage to Abraham. Abraham's first born was Ishmael, the son of Hagar (Sarah's handmaid). The Muslims see this as their faith beginning..The Jews (and later, the Christians) believe that God's promise of a "son" was to Abraham
and Sarah, and, thus, Isaac was the child of promise and their faith beginning. Therefore, Muslims and Jews have much in common...yet often focus in on their differences.

FROM M.T. IN PENNSYLVANIA: You've already handled prolixity!

FROM K.B. IN MICHIGAN: I kind of agree with five --but sleep? Don't we need that one? FROM JACK: Not on the job.

FROM PREACHER, B.M. IN MICHIGAN: What the heck is prolixity? FROM JACK: Pulpit People should look it up.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I would say fear of the unknown, especially in these terrible times in the USA. More and more government intervention is SO scary. I am afraid of where we are headed! FROM JACK: "Cast all your fears on Him."

FROM CJL IN OHIO: How about 'laziness' ? No. We'll work on that later.... FROM JACK: I like the sound of the word, sloth. Onomatopoeia describes it.

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: Right now I'm battling fear -- masquerading as laziness. But, perhaps I shall never be prosperous since a lack of sleep leaves me a victim of the other 5 faults. FROM JACK: I think we have to face them, one at a time. Sloth and laziness seem to go together, so that cuts the list to five.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I agree with all of your seven deadly sins except the one on prolixity. Prolixity is actually a very desirable trait because it helps one control the conversation. It is used often in Congress. Without prolixity we would be left to wonderwhat was meant. Brevity clouds the issue by being brief. Prolixity is sometimes mistaken for blowhardness but this is a myth. Blowhardness is in itself a deadly sin and should not be confused with prolixity. I'm sure that you have experienced prolixity in writing as well as spoken. Sometimes run-on is associated with prolixity but that, too, is a separate issue. If we did not have prolixity things would become vague and we would not be able to understand a computer instruction book. Chatterbox, motormouth and BS Artist are all derogatory references to prolixity, but I for one, prefer "communicator."More of this on page two tomorrow. FROM JACK: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

FROM B IN ILLINOIS: I have to admit… I had to look up prolixity. Nice one today! FROM JACK: I'm glad that you did what I expected some to do.

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: I asked the Lord to tell me
Why my house is such a mess.
He asked if I'd been 'computering',
And I had to answer 'yes.'
He told me to get off my fanny,
And tidy up the house.
And so I started cleaning up...
The smudges off my mouse.
I wiped and shined the topside.
That really did the trick.....
I was just admiring my good work.
I didn't mean to 'click.'
But click, I did, and oops - I found
A real absorbing site
That I got SO way into it -
I was into it all night.
Nothing's changed except my mouse.
It's very, very shiny.
I guess my house will stay a mess....
While I sit here on my hiney.

FROM P.L. IN MICHIGAN: May be I should try the opposite of "prolixity" since I don' know what that means and I can make it what I want. FROM JACK: Part of the fun of doing WWs is to throw in a word like, prolixity, and see what people do with it. It makes the blog more interesting.

FROM GUSTIE M.N.: I will never get anywhere because I NEED my sleep! Ha!

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: Fear is my first and foremost to tackle, by letting God be God.

FROM P.H. IN MINNESOTA: Prolixity sounds like a laxative of some kind!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back, safe and sound, Pastor Freed. Had to look up "prolixity" and was glad I did because sense that is the fault for me to tackle first. Maybe then I wouldn't complain about other people not speaking their minds enough because they could get a word in edgewise if I would stop a bit from speaking mine. Gosh darn, this is a long comment.
S.H. in MI