Friday, July 10, 2009

Winning Words 7/10/09
“Too little or too much spoils anything.” (Danish Proverb) I remember a time when people didn’t talk about diets. But I do recall that the word “moderation” was often used in those days. It works, not just for what we eat and drink, but in many other areas of life, as well. What comes to your mind? ;-) Jack

FROM HILLTOPPER JOHN: Too much faith leads to death on a cross! FROM JACK: I'll have to think about that.

FROM E IN ILLINOIS: Ok, you win, after all. I've been thinking about what you said about not wanting anyone else's problems instead of your own. You are right. As bad as my life is at the moment, I realize that I wouldn't trade with anyone when it comes right down to it. What a strange phenomenon... FROM JACK: You win, because you've come to a realization.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Reflecting on yesterday's WW, it seems to me that today's WW applies to "ambition"...too little or too much can spoil things. FROM JACK: When son David was a toddler he would love to pour catsup on his food. His mother would say. "Tooooo much!" It got to the point that when he wanted catsup, he would point to the bottle and say, "Tooooo much!"

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: talking/writing too much, talking/writing too little spoils anything. I know I've talked too much to my daughter when she tells me to stop lecturing her. Fortunately, in that case, stopping is good, and things still have turned out OK.

FROM GOOD DEBT JOHN: Many of the Victorian era books I have read, described “portly” or overweight as a sign of wealth. How times have changed.
MORE FROM JON: Some people are retrievers, I’m an observer. In my book, I quote a poor Indian man, saying, “I want to see America where the poor people are fat.”

FROM M.K. IN MICHIGAN: Interesting words today as I work in a substance addiction hospital this month... A place where "moderation" is not mentioned. I think many (addicts and otherwise) adopt an "all or none" philosophy.

FROM M.T. IN PENNSYLVANIA: ...and then there's the saying: "Everything in moderation....including moderation." (Sometimes its important to go all-out.) FROM JACK: I like it.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Moderation is an action word and it would be nice if it were said more often and USED more often. Lots of things these days are either "too much or too little"....but mostly too much....food, drink, taxes, government, selfishness, job loses, etc etc. It's a good thing it just takes a little faith and a little of God's grace to get us through it all.

FROM JACK: Here are the lyrics from something sung during WW 2:
They're Either Too Young or Too Old
Words by (Lyricist): Frank Loesser
Music by (Composer): Arthur Schwartz

They're either too young, or too old,
They're either too gray or too grassy green,
The pickings are poor and the crop is lean.
What's good is in the army,
What's left will never harm me.

They're either too old or too young,
So, darling, you'll never get stung.
Tomorrow I'll go hiking with that Eagle Scout unless,
I get a call from grandpa for a snappy game of chess.

I'll never, never fail ya,
While you are in Australia,
Or off among the Rooshians,
And flying over Egypt.
Your heart will never be gypped,
And when you get to India,
I'll still be what I've been to ya.
I've looked the field over
And lo and behold!
They're either too young or too old!

They're either too bald or too bold,
I'm down to the wheelchair and bassinet,
My heart just refuses to get upset.
I simply can't compel it to,
With no Marine to tell it to.

I'm either their first breath of spring,
Or else, I'm their last little fling.
I either get a fossil or an adolescent pup,
I either have to hold him off,
Or have to hold him up.
The battle is on, but the fortress will hold,
They're either too young or too old.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: TALK

FROM JAN IN MICHIGAN: Maybe except for church offerings? FROM JACK: The deacons once came to me about a church member who was a tither, but he wasn't paying his bills. "Pastor, perhaps you can talk to him about using some of his tithe to take care of overdue bills?"

FROM P.L. IN MICHIGAN: I think physical labor was much more many years ago and food not as pentiful. The thought of "holding back" food portions to our older genrations would probably sound insane to them. then agian, people didn't live as long and diet was one of the reasons. Interesting thoughts! JACK'S REPLY: They probably got more exercise (digging gardens, shoveling coal, carrying ashes, cranking the car, etc)...and no fast food, either. MORE FROM P.L.: Right!!!! But then again, what my mother served for dinner in our Jewish
home would make current nutritionists crazy. The fat content alone is off the charts by current standards.. Yet, Mom lived to 94 and Dad lived to 96. go figure!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Everything. Don't have to think!

FROM C.S. ON THE WAY TO THE U.P.: Bob and I are heading for the UP in the next couple of hours. I will breath in some fresh air for you too!!

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i like when garrison keillor talks about things being "good enough".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

talking/writing too much, talking/writing too little spoils anything. I know I've talked too much to my daughter when she tells me to stop lecturing her. Fortunately, in that case, stopping is good, and things still have turned out OK.
S.H. in MI