Monday, May 18, 2009

Winning Words 5/18/09
The things which hurt, instruct.” (Ben Franklin) The History Channel had an interesting hour on Franklin this past week. What a brilliant mind! He had common sense, too, as is shown in today’s quote. I can think of lessons that pain and loss have taught me. And, I didn’t necessarily like it at the time, either. ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: Today, I think of the workers at auto dealers from across the nation, who are losing their jobs, because dealership are having to close in the process of business reorganization. Jobs are people. Jobs are families. As a word of encouragement, I think of words from an old Fred Astair/Ginger Rogers movie: Swing Time...."Pick yourself Up And Start All Over Again."
Nothing's impossible I have found, For when my chin is on the ground, I pick myself up, Dust myself off, Start All over again. Don't lose your confidence if you slip, Be grateful for a pleasant trip, And pick yourself up, Dust yourself off, Start all over again. Work like a soul inspired, Till the battle of the day is won. You may be sick and tired, But you'll be a man, my son! Will you remember the famous men, Who had to fall to rise again? So take a deep breath, Pick yourself up, Dust yourself off, Start all over again.


FROM L.K. IN OHIO: We are now midstream in a three hour movie documentary about BF......quite "enlightening"............and the book about him by HW Brands that I'm reading now is great,too.....THE FIRST AMERICAN....... REPLY FROM JACK: Circumstances were such that he did not get to be the STAR as President of the United States of America. But he was probably played a more influential role in the success of the new country than did anyone else.

FROM MOLINER LIZ: That was a good show. I saw part of it as I was channel surfing. Hope I get to see the rest of it. Yes, pain is a good teacher, but does it have to be so painful?

FROM MOLINER G.S.: BF is one of my heros. Have you read his autobiography? He was quite an athlete - the only one who could swim the across the mouth of the Beverly?
River in Beverly MA.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: So there is a silver lining to this existing congress? financial promiscuity of today forges shackles for our children and grandchildren. Deficit (so far) as percent of GDP is near 4x higher than the gut less Republican GW had it. From about 3.2 to 11.8 percent of GDP. I see the Change but Hope is fading.
REPLY FROM JACK: I see that you're wearing your optimistic hat today!


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Through the years, life itself has been painful, scary, depressing, etc etc. However, it has also been filled with fun, friendship, love and many many lessings. I guess it's all in the way you handle life. Life can be very painful but we do learn to avoid as much as possible. And to take the joy and laughter when we can.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Yes. learning can be a painful experience. But the joy is worth it. FROM JACK: Joy? CF's response: Not the joy of pain, the joy of learning.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Didn't someone else say, "It's an ill wind that blows no good."? Troubling as some events may be, something positive can be salvaged from what happened. REPLY FROM JACK: I wonder what those who've been through a tornado or a hurricane have to say about this.


FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: isn't that the truth. one of our family sayings is, "that which does not kill you makes you stronger". there were times when i thought it would have been easier to be killed. then a nanosecond later, i change my mind. i love life, even through the tough times. REPLY FROM JACK: We are who we were. Robert Schuller has a saying: Tough times never last; tough people do.

FROM J.E. IN MICHIGAN: Jack, even though it’s Wednesday, I keep coming back to the quote you sent on Monday. For a long time I was stuck on the quote on the Marine’s billboard in Vermont, “Pain is weakness leaving your body.” Generally pain brings new insights and strength. My oldest sister is going through a divorce. Real exercise can sometimes be painful, but the long term benefits are worth it. My mom always used to say, “….offer it up to the poor souls in purgatory.”

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Me, too. But it does depend on the lesson it teaches!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking a lot about the feelings/sense of "belonging" now-a-days. How when you lose that from an organization, you can feel shattered. I hope when all the people "pick themselves up", maybe it should rather be to be in a community where all are helping each other to "pick themselves up" people will again be able to have a sense of "belonging" and not just hard crusty individualism. In my opinion, we won't be better off that way and will already have the seed within us to deteriorate again in another cycle of greed and selfishness.
S.H. in MI