Thursday, May 14, 2009

Winning Words 5/14/09
“You are the same today as you’ll be in five years, except for two things: the people you meet and the books you read.” (Charlie “Tremendous” Jones) Charlie got his nickname, because he would always say, “Tremendous,” when faced with a problem. He saw it as an opportunity. Yesterday I attended a workshop and became acquainted with several very interesting people. Now, I’m looking for a new book. ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Jack you made me cry today! Charlie “Tremendous” Jones died a few years ago. He truly was a Tremendous man. My son (then 14) loved him, we met him in Anaheim, CA right before my book came out in January 2005. A true gentleman, humorist, and man of God. One of the few guys that actually lived up to their marketing. He will be missed. And his/your WW today is exactly correct. Everything I have done or become or will become, that is a rise above my Appalachian baseline—began in a book.

FROM HILLTOPPER JOHN: I'm reading THE LAST DICKENS by Matthew Pearl. I recommend it to you.

FROM M.T. IN PENNSYLVANIA: You'll probably get an inbox-full of suggestions. Mine would be The Tipping Point, or Blink, or Outliers (or all 3, in that order) by Malcolm Gladwell. He has a knack for turning a compelling train of thought into a good story, populated by a host of interesting and important real people and their work. FROM JACK: The librarian says that thy're all on loan, but I will be notified when they come back.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: I was remarking last month at a new business open house that I didn't know any of the people in the room 5 years ago, before we started Champions Bible Study. REPLY FROM JACK: I celebrate
occasions like that, because it means that I've widened my circle of friends.

FROM G.C. IN SAN DIEGO: During my media days I came to know Charlie Tremendous Jones. We did a show w/ him and Ken Blanchard on the business world and ethics and Christian values. You kept wondering if this guy is for real...he was and is. Ken Blanchard was the key in the whole show.

FROM CJL IN OHIO (YOUNGSTOWN): Try The Winner's Manual" by Jim Tressel of YSU and Ohio State fame. FROM JACK: What's YSU?

FROM PR P.H. IN MINNESOTA: i think my body will be 5 years older and that won't be the same! FROM JACK: I hope your mind grows, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People and books are my big draw but I'm so drawn to books that often don't have time to read the many of them here in the house from cover to cover. Often just skip around in them. Does this mean I'm less changed than I should be? Or am I more changed than I would have been, having read bits and pieces from so many? It's a problem I face and maybe it's tremendous.
S.H. in MI