Monday, April 27, 2009

Winning Words 4/27/09
“I cannot do everything, but I must not do nothing.” (Lady Caroline Cox) Lady Caroline has traveled around the world trying to improve the quality of life and medical care for the ill and needy. She was in our area last week to establish a chair for Global Health and Social Justice at Oakland Univ. On that occasion, she said, “It’s a privilege to be able to make a difference.” Perhaps there is some way in which you and I can make a
difference in our corner of the world. We must not do nothing. ;-) Jack

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Remember Judge/Gov Youngdahl's words at our opening convocation: I cannot do everything but I can do something...... FROM JACK: Do you remember all of this stuff (from when we became pastors), or do you consult a file, or do you make it up?

FROM P.H. IN MINNESOTA: good words, Jack. i could have used this quote in my sermon yesterday. it would have fit perfectly.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: your post interested me enough to read about Lady Caroline - have never read about her before. what an amazing and inspirational woman.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: so many people ask, "what can i do?". my first thought and sometimes response is, "more than nothing." it is interesting to see where the conversation goes from there! FROM JACK: It reminds me of something that happened in Wisconsin, when I was a Pastor there. A woman's husband died, and the next door neighbor, a policeman, came over and asked if there was anything that he could you. She answered, "Thank you. You can spade my garden."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY IN MI: Great Winning Words for a Monday morning! To sit back and do nothing is a terrible waste. Activate and motivate! Two good words to begin to make a difference! FROM JACK: Activate and motivate! I like it.

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: If I'm not mistaken, Baroness Cox also founded CSW (Christian Solidarity Worldwide) or at least was/is deeply involved in it. I have heard (and taped) her more than once here in HK. She is deeply pro-Burma in addition to her other many endeavours. FROM JACK: Thanks for the feedback. I had not heard of her before, but I've not heard of a lot of people, and a lot of people haven't heard of me, either.

No comments: