Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Winning Words 4/21/09
“We would fain see others perfect, and yet our own faults we amend not.” (Thomas a Kempis) See if you can figure this one out, if I tell you that another word for “fain” is “rather.” Try using “fain” in a sentence today, and see if you get a reaction. Thomas lived 600 years ago as a monk in Germany. Another quote of his that I like: “Man proposeth and God disposeth.” ;-) Jack

FROM MOLINER LIZ: Personally, I feign recognizing my own faults... so as not to appear too arrogant! Just kidding. FROM JACK: What faults? Feign is different from fain. FROM LIZ: I no. Ha!

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: "Ferris Fain was an outstanding first baseman" Is that the sentence you were looking for? FROM JACK: I fain would accept it. "Gladly is another word for "fain."

FROM CJL IN OHIO: You're a real historian. Thanks, I needed that!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: There wath a lot of lisping going on in those days wathent there?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I would fain accepted your invitation for tickets to Hawaii!

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: Thine winningest worbles for this morn do not disappointeth, therefore I shall not disposeth, yea, but fain forwardeth.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: I know darn well I'll never become perfect any more. There was a time in life when I kept trying, hoping before I Passed on I would have achieved some success. Except I have achieved some sort of success. I no longer chase girls.or, try to eat too much ham. shucks.

No comments: