Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 12/31/08
“I think in terms of the day’s resolutions, not the year’s.”
(Henry Moore) This song seems to fit: “One day at a time, Sweet Jesus, That’s all I’m asking from you; Just give me the strength To do everyday what I have to do.” One reason New Year’s resolutions often fail is because we bite off more than we can chew. One day at a time! ;-) Jack

FROM P.O. IN MI: Thank you for another entertaining and challenging year of WW! Have a healthy and happy new year.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Henry Moore's words show a sensible attitude for accomplishing things. If this came from Henry Moore, the renowned English sculptor, his thinking was as refined as his art. MORE ON MOORE: Thinking about how common the name Henry Moore is, I googled it to check about other persons, only to find that the most prominent is the sculptor. Going to some of the links, there was an interesting item about a piece he did in Columbus, IN. He produced a non-figurative bronze of large scale. If you're interested (and I know you will be) go to www.kid-at-art.com/htdoc/kidsarch.html

FROM M.T. IN PA: Regarding New Year's resolutions, success is more likely if you start living the new way before New Year's Day! I remember that when I used to try to take new year's resolutions seriously, the anticipation of making a big change seemed to make the challenge all the greater. Getting a 'head start' on the the change made for an easy transition and greater chance of success. Later in life it became clear to me that every day is a day of opportunities to reshape who we are. (This is beautifully portrayed in the movie "Ground Hog Day") JACK'S REPLY. Ground Hog Day is one of my all-time favorite movies. I watch it every year on Feb 2, and wonder what it would be like to live one day over and over. M.T.s RESPONSE: It's in my all-time favorite top-10, too! I had seen it 3 or 4 times before, and then a 'shift' of some kind happened for me. I began to think of my every day as the same day over again UNLESS I willed myself to do something (or many things) differently or better than I would have otherwise done. In the movie, that's what gradually transformed Bill Murray's character into a new and better person. Each day that I remember to 'will' a better way truly is a new day. (And not the same one over again.) I don't always remember. It's a long haul.

FROM G.S. IN S.H.: HAPPY NEW YEAR.............and good winning words...............

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Oh I really like this one. It is just One Day at a Time!!! That's how I try, and I say, try....to live each day. I make a resolution each year not to make one and I have been very successful! JACK'S REPLY: I think I can, I think I can. I know I can.

FROM CJL IN OH: That's all we have.....and maybe not the whole day... JACK'S REPLY: As Bugs Bunny used to say, "Ain't it the truth;? Ain't it the truth?"

FROM J.O. IN MI: That is so true!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Thanks Jack, this is just the right day to sing this song. I think I'll succeed. Thanks ole buddy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dream in terms of the whole year, I think and plan more realistically in terms of, sometimes, just the next 10 minutes. Maybe longer if I'm having a quiet day.
Happy New Year.
Sharon