Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 12/30/08
Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.”
(Malcolm Forbes) If college and seminary taught me anything, I learned to keep an open mind and not be too judgmental. My philosophy and theology professors had a big impact on my way of thinking. Which educator influenced you the most? For me, it was Eric Wahlstrom. ;-) Jack


FROM MOLINER C.F.: I was home schooled so my mother was the teacher with the greatest influence on my life. Classes started at 6:30 AM six days per week and ran until the subject was covered. One nice thing about it, I was sent next door to do my homework. (Grandma lived there) Dad put in a playground so I could have a proper recess and we even had School Colors ... puce and chartreuse. Our football team was undefeated. And I still wear my letter sweater. Dad was the Dean and I often made his "list." Went to public school for a brief interlude in third grade but Mom decided there were some bad influences there so she pulled my out. My proudest moment was graduation and getting my class ring. The ceremonies were held in front of The Black Angel at Moline Memorial Park. Quite stirring (and scarey).




FROM M.L. IN IL: my fifth grade teacher, mrs. korell, comes in first place for me. she taught me to keep my eyes wide open.

FROM CJL IN OH: Eric Wahlstrom & A.D.

FROM PR F.M. IN WI: Two names, Art Hayes, a new testament prof. and James Raun, a long time 'foreign' missionary and later theology professor at NWLTS, who introduce me to Brunner, Barth and Nygren.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: The educator who influenced me the most was one of my college profs....she was Mrs. Cluchrechek. We would all go back to her house once a week and just talk and have discussions about the world around us. She was a tiny little lady but everyone loved her. I thought she was so old and come to find out, she was quite young. She quit that summer to have her first child. She taught me patience and to listen more than I talked.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: For some reason when I was in Miss Benson's 4th grade class I realized my hand writting was terrible. When 1944 rolled around I had enough to buy a type writter from Wettengel's and because I wanted people to be able to read my letters, I typed most of my letters since then.Also, or as the "krauts say it, ( unt )" I'm glad you enjoy Rev. Jack's Winning Words, they are better than great.Origianlly I just sent them to my grandchildren because I wanted them to realize their value and hoped they would retain the value. But now I sit up until 2 am some times to try to send them to as many people as I can. So after going to a special school in the army, when I hit my final unit, the Master Sarge," asked who could type." I raised my hand and never saw K.P. again.

FROM G.C. IN SAN DIEGO: As for Seminary profs, Eric Wahlstrom would also have my vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Booer, high school modern problems teacher. He conveyed to us that poverty stems from people having too many kids too early. He probably had done a lot of thinking about the problem of poverty and helped me understand my own family's poverty, as well as the value of chastity and getting an education. I don't think he was teaching from the book then but teaching from his heart, maybe it was coming from the Bible book. He had quite an impact on us.