Friday, December 26, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 12/26/08
“Give thanks for a little, and you will find a lot.”
(Nigerian Saying) In some parts of the world, Dec 26, is known as Boxing Day, when it is the custom to “box up” a small gift and give it to someone who has served you well during the year. How do you say. “thank you,” to those who have done things for you? In a Christmas card, a former secretary of mine said that every year she hangs a wooden Santa on her Christmas tree. We gave her that gift 45 years ago. We had forgotten. She had not. ;-) Jack


FROM MOLINER C.F.: Why do we have to wait for a special day to thank people? Seems to me it's a work in progress.

FROM KANSAN DON: My "box" for you -- besides saying 'thanks' -- is the interesting question a lady once told me.Her husband had a heart transplant. Then a friend asked her: "Will he still love you?"Off to a good new year!

FROM B & I NEAR ORLANDO: Thanks for the reminder Jack. I think a thank you even though it is late is valuable. Happy New Year

FROM D.C. IN MI: When my sister and I went on a cruise to the Panama Canal in February of 2007, I was the only one in some game we were playing that knew that the real name of Boxing Day was the Day of St. Stephen. Even a guy I discovered on the cruise who is a Polish Catholic and was a high school classmate of mine in Superior, WI, didn't get that one right. He and a Catholic lawyer who was railroaded into having the Sunday services because the priest they had contracted with didn't show up for the cruise, didn't know that either. Happy Day of St. Stephen!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Sometimes a hug can do more than a thank you. I hug a lot. Thank you for your words...since I can't hug you personally.

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: I was just reading part of "A Child's Christmas in Wales" to my daughter - a homemade version of the book (with calligraphy and drawings from a college friend) - so friends give us gifts that we somtimes cherish for years, unbeknownst to them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe this Nigerian Saying and not just because you gave this example so we could see the whole thing working but, because, it is amazing how so often when people do or say things which I find hard to hear or accept and then I start giving thanks to God for even these things, how often the situation just turns around to some sort of reconciliation. Give thanks for a little, and you will find a lot. So true, so true I've found but I know I didn't always feel such thankfulness in so many situations, glad to read the Nigerian Saying, hear about the precious wooden Santa and the treasured memories of your secretary and you, Pastor Freed. Happy New Year, 2009!!!!!!!
Sharon