Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 12/23/08
“Pray, and let God worry.”
(Martin Luther) I guess they had worry and prayer back in the 16th century, too. My prayer list continues to grow, along with this added petition: “I trust these friends, O Lord, into your gracious care.” That’s my magic wand. Yet, I still have concerns. Would you classify that as, worry? ;-) Jack


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: No, I wouldn't say that is worry. That is concern. It's knowing God is working but you are keeping those people in prayer. Worry is mostly needless thinking....to me they are two different things. I don't "worry" but I am concerned. I think; I'm not sure about anyone else, but I think they are different...and I'm not going to worry about what anyone else thinks!

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: No, it's not worry, at least not about God's power and grace. Such "concerns" relate to the nature of "these friends" who by their own free will have somehow gotten as they are, and may continue to follow personal choices rather than submit totally to God's will. REPLY: My concern is for those, who through no fault of their own, face daughnting problems.

FROM MOLINER LIZ: I would classify that as "caring." Thank you for another year of inspiring thoughts. There have been so many mornings when your words were just what I needed to start my day. Merry Christmas, Jack, to you and your loved ones.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I had a similar idea for my ministry. I let God take care of the big picture and I did the little things. It worked out well.

FROM MKH IN MI: I am trying to do that!! It is not easy to do!!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: I think that is being human.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: I wonder if it's a good idea to place a greater burden on the Good Lord. I appreciate all he ( she ) does without adding more responsibility. Thanks for the thoughts Jack. I think M.L.K.was a great person and his leadership in his time was tremendous. JACK'S REPLY: The quote is from the original Martin Luther. MLK came centuries later.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: You may either pray or worry! No one can truly do both at once... Worry supposes inaction. If you actually pray believing that is effort and not worry. The hard part is to pray effectively believing without our selfish motives blocking the path of God's will.

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: "Obey God, and leave the consequences up to Him" (Charles Stanley).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your Winning Words again today, Pastor Freed. All of them including the concerns ones. We don't seem to be living in an age of Christian martyrdam (spelling?) in this country so don't have the same situation as the first century Christians but I often wonder about the disciples who were being crucified up-side down or beheaded, etc., were they ever worried or even going through those ends of their lives did they manage to not worry? How about St. Stephen as he was being stoned? Did any worries cross his mind? I don't want to experience at all what they experienced death-wise but I would like to experience their Christianity and their trust and hope and just wonder if I am. How much are we together? Or how much apart? Are these questions concerns or are they worries? At least the prayers may have a common element of going to Jesus for total help in living.
Peace, Pastor Freed.
Sharon