Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/12/08
“All the money in the world won’t buy you one more day.”
(Ted Turner) Perhaps you saw Sunday’s 60 Minutes interview with Billionaire Ted. Like most of us, I think that he was shaped by his childhood. As he grows older, he seems to have come to the realization that there is an end. A verse in the Bible reads: “What does it profit a man to gain the whole world…?” I like this Gospel song:..This world is not my home; I’m just-a passin’ through. My treasures are laid up a way beyond the blue. ;-) Jack

FROM PR P.H. IN MN: also, "i am but a stranger here, heaven is my home"

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I think of this everytime I hear someone say, "If you drink this juice you will add a day on to your life, or if you take this vitamin, etc." I didn't see the interview, but I hope he comes to realize that Jesus is the only way to eternal life.

JACK'S RESPONSE: One's relationship with God, in every instance, is a personal one, beyond our judgment.

FROM A&P IN MI: You did'nt beat me up;was building fire in stove at 5:30! Ted has mellowed a bit. JACK'S RESPONSE: It was interesting, during the interview, to hear Jane Fonda tell what it was like living with him. The children chimed in, too. Our familes could each tell their stories...just as each of us could witness to what it's been like living with God, the Father.

FROM PR A.W. IN IL: In my second parish , I had a devout, wonderful man who told me about when his son died. He said" I would gladly have given up all I own if only I had one more day with my son."

FROM PR F.M. IN WI: Yes, we watched 60 Minutes on Sunday evening . . . thanks for preserving the best part of the interview!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually it's a sobering thought but, giving away all of his money now, won't buy him one more day either since it all depends on faith and not what we do. That Gospel hymn wonderfully puts all of us, whatever our station, in the same freedom, looking forward to what is going to happen today, looking forward to forever too. Thanks for giving us these Winning Words for reflection, Pastor Freed.