Thursday, November 13, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 11/13/08
“All my life I used to wonder what I would like to become when I grew up. Then, about seven years ago, I realized that I was never going to grow up….that growing up is an ever ongoing process.”
(M. Scott Peck) When you were a child, what was it that you wanted to become when you grew up? I wanted to be a fireman, but I became a pastor instead. Now, in retirement, I’ve finally grown up and become a chaplain for the Fire Department. ;-) Jack

ANOTHER QUOTE THAT SEEMS TO FIT: "When what we are is what we want to be, that's happiness." (Malcolm Forbes) If you're happy and you know it, say, Amen!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: A Forest Ranger...but my high school counseler said I couldn't be because there were no women in that area. I was quite the quiet one then and would never have "bucked the system" to become one, unfortunately. Instead, I became a Legal Secretary. How boring...but it paid the bills. Now I am who I want to be, but still growing!


FROM MOLINER G.S.: Hit most of the goals, except that I wanted to own a helicopter. My Aunt Ruth and Uncle Merle Kruse expected me to become an engineer - which I did. Our family can be such a good influence.

FROM M.T. IN PA: Got a good laugh from this one...and....congratulations on reaching your grown-up goal! JACK'S REPLY: But what did you want to be? An art glass designer? MARK'S REPLY: Actually, for quite a while, a Pastor. I did eventually get to work in some churches! JACK'S REPLY: More and more churches are using lay persons to assist If I were your pastor, I'd find some way to help you achieve your childhood desire. I guess in reality, you did become a pastor. Your Holy Spirit windows speak a message every week to the worshippers. We each use our talents in different ways. MARK'S REPLY: And by the way, the inspiration for the windows was a Gift. The opportunity to make them was something I worked for, but I am also ever grateful for having received it. I will never tire of knowing they are appreciated. P.S. To help 'rekindle' my sidetracked career in glasswork, I have secured talabastudio.com for my website. (not 'live' yet, but will soon be populating it with photos and commentary)

MOLINER C.F.: You're still a fireman...saving people from the everlasting inferno. So you have realized your dreams after all. JACK'S REPLY: No, it's Jesus who's that kind of fireman.

FROM N.E. IN S.H.: I'm still thinking about it. If I ever grow up (God forbid) I'll let you know. ;)

FROM BBC IN IL: I did not know you were Chaplain for the fire department - what sparked your interest?

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: Gee, when I was "little", I wanted to be just like my leader, Jack Freed. Then, when I obtained a greater amount of intelligence, and discovered his political leanings, I decided on becoming a "Conservative" so we could counter "the dark side".

FROM J.B. IN WI: Lucky me. I wanted to be a wife, mommy, and teacher. I got to do all. At that age, I did not even think about becoming a grandma, but I now know that for me, that has been the very best part of this growing up process.

FROM P.L IN MI: How wonderful that you have actually achieved your dream! God has other plans for some of us and we may never know why. I always like to think that we play the cards we are dealt to the best of our ability and with the help of God, make the right choices. MORE: When I was young, I wanted to become an artist! And a Mom! Always loved to draw and create. After high school the dream and promise of going to college was shattered due a lack of money. My dad was a general contractor who suffered great financial loss in his business. Lost our home, had to rent. I went to work and to beauty school paying a week at a time. Later on I took local college courses at night, put together a portfolio and got a job in advertising on my own merit.....no degree. After marriage and kids I returned to the field part time, them full time and finally retired as an art director. Everyone should follow their dreams and follow their heart. God will guide you, but not always down the path you choose. Thanks Jack for all the thought provoking words. I enjoy them each day. Once in a while, one really strikes home. ;-)

FROM M.L. IN IL: you have given in to the "peter pan syndrome". yeah! growing up is a never-ending story. i like watching the pages unfold. quite frankly, each day that passes brings me more youth than age. it's all in the way we choose to look at the world. such newness each day brings! it is our daily gift from the universe/god.

FROM M.N. IN MN: I wanted to be a secretary or a nurse, but opted for Elementary Ed. That was a good choice for me and it served me well. JACK'S REPLY: You would have been a good nurse, or secretary, because you're like Mary Richards....You've got SPUNK!

FROM CJL IN OH: Congratulations! I shall keep you in mind when I chaplain for the Police dept.

FROM M.S. IN IL: Thanks for sharing that Jack as you have come full circle. Remember you introduced me to Civil Air Patrol Chaplaincy 14 years ago. It has been a great experience. I've also met many police and fire department chaplains through my work with CISM. It is a great opportunity for service.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you post a picture of you in your chaplain's uniform?

Anonymous said...

I would like to see the picture too, Pastor Freed.

When I was a child I wanted to know if God really existed. All the family used to sit around the kitchen table and debate upon God's existence. Parents letting us debate without a lot of comment. Now that I'm older I find I want to know more and more about the Body of Christ. What's His Body like going in, what's His Body like going out? How far does He really go inside and outside? What is Jesus looking like and now that is a neverending question to ponder. There is comfort believing in the existence of God and also believing Jesus' Presence is full of possibilities and endless.

Anonymous said...

Your retirement, Pastor Freed, is just the most interesting retirement I've ever seen. I hope you are giving talks to the little kiddies at school. They would be motivated to learn a lot, I think, knowing their whole lives--even after the job--can be so interesting.
Sharon