Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1015/08
“The only time my prayers are never answered in on the golf course.”
(Billy Graham) When I was teaching young people about prayer, I said that God always answers prayer in three possible ways: Yes, No, and we’ll wait and see. The skeptic might say that it’s a cop-out. Believers have told me that it’s worked for them. What prayer experiences have you had? ;-) Jack


FROM PR J.S.IN MI: I don't think that God has ever said "Yes" "No" or "Wait and see" to me. I think God takes our prayers in and directs our hearts and thoughts toward the answer that has already been given in his Word. That's why that word is so critical and what the liberals are doing to it is a crime. Look at the Lord's Prayer. God isn't listening to give those types of answers. God directs us to the Kingdom of God and its importance for our lives. God directs us to see that everyone needs daily bread and we are to be the persons who make certain that it happens. God directs us toward a forgiving and honest lifestyle. God directs us to see that we are weak and need to avoid temptations but while in them to look to the Lord for a way out. However, I have never experienced God to say "Yes" to me in any fashion at all. REPLY FROM JACK: Here I stand.

FROM K.B. IN MI: Don't we always have to remind folks that no or maybe is an answer just like yes--but much harder to hear. REPLY FROM JACK: Children don't like to hear their parents say, NO or MAYBE, either.

FROM MKH IN MI: I often say its a good thing I don't have a gun on the golf course or I would kill myself. I play with a bunch of WB cops and I have asked them if they are carrying so I can put myself out of misery! Why do we love that game? REPLY FROM JACK: Maybe it's because you're seeking that hole in one. And...children shouldn't play with guns!

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: My prayer results have mostly been "yes" but not often arriving in the manner that I expected. Also, does wishful thinking count as prayer? Countless times I've thought about good things I hoped to attain at some future time, only to have it happen unexpectedly early. The Lord is in charge. REPLY FROM JACK: I agree, and, incidentally, will it do the Red Sox any good to pray that they can beat the "Devil" Rays? MORE FROM R.I.: No...God doesn't jump in and come to the rescue in matters where the needy can handle matters on their own. As for Boston teams and Boston fans, it's the blind leading the blind. MORE:
Boston sports fans are like no other creatures on earth. Civility, admiration for accomplishment, sportsmanship, competitiveness, the high road, are all things that too many Boston fans are oblivious to. All they want is to win, at any cost. An easy win against a bum team elates the fans here, like it was some great accomplishment. And win or lose, there is a complement of macho airheads who go out and destroy the Fenway, as if that is bravura celebrating. The Green Monster, Fenway Park, isn't the ugly image in Boston sports...it's that bottom stratum of asinine fans who go there. (OK, now off my soap box.)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Only God knows how He answers prayers but He has never failed to stand by my side...no matter what I need....or don't need.

FROM G.M. IN MI: Jack I will let you know after the 4th of November

FROM I.D. IN MI: God always answers my prayers. It's just a matter of patience time and faith. In my life He did many miracles and I'm really relying on Him. We can't say that prayers it just words,It's a divine personal dialog with your creator that will always have good conclusion at the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We people are so limited in our abilities, or even our desires, to communicate with each other. My favorite prayer is to start off with "If you abide in me and My Word abides in you, ask what you will and it will be given to you." Then I get busy setting forth the whole problem to God and begging Him to talk to that other guy and also to me. That seems to bring a great deal of relief just in itself. Then I wait to see what the other guy and myself actually do--it seems to be a surety, so far, that we do do something that leads to more peace. Doesn't come from us--it's coming from God's Yes.