Thursday, May 08, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 5/8/08
“Every vision is a joke until the first person accomplishes it.”
(Robert Goddard) Goddard is regarded as the founding father of the Space Age. He launched his first rocket in 1926 (before I was born). His father introduced him to science by showing him how to generate electricity by moving his shoes back and forth on the family carpet. I sometimes shocked people in this way when I gave them Holy Communion. Back to the quote. I remember when I first heard of magnetic credit cards. Unbelievable! ;-) Jack

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: It's interesting that both King and Obama were/are considered by many to be "jokesters".

FROM P.H. IN MICHIGAN: Sometime you'll have to expand on that "Holy Communion" comment....Enjoy a fabulous day, always full of opportunities. FROM JACK: Some churches have carpet in the altar area. When I walked on it, static electricity was created. Sometimes when I handed the bread to the communicant, a spark was set off, which caused both me and the communicant to jump. Of course, it could have been the Holy Spirit showing up, too.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: I really think you were listening on your Dad's crystal radio to Goddard's feat.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Roger Bannister and the 4 minute mile—no one ever thought it could be done. Personally I broke the 15 minute mile 4 times yesterday.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Yeah, and Flash Gordon launched rockets long before he did. Talk about vision!

FROM A.W. IN IL: Goddard's work was not appreciated in the U.S. until the Nazi's got a head start and began sending buzz bombs and rockets on London. The U.S. was light years behind , hence the grab for the nazi rocket scientists at the close of WWII...... Goddard's quote is especially meaningful in light of the way he was treated by felllow scientists...who looked at him as a sort of crackpot. He became discouraged and quit trying to advance rocketry.

No comments: