Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 5/28/08
“I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.”
(Walt Disney) It’s interesting to note that that many seriously ill children want the Make-A-Wish Foundation to send them to Disneyland. Disney has provided a diversion for many people caught up in a complex world, and I’m glad for his contribution. How do you handle complexity? ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: As Lucy (from the "Peanuts" comics) used to say, "I'm very optimistic about my pessimism!"

FROM J.F. IN NOVA SCOTIA: Hannelore was active for several years in the Eastern PA equivalent of Make-a-Wish. Many of their sponsorees chose Disneyland. Some of them stayed with their families at Give Kids the World, a very accessible facility providing rooms and transportation. The story behind Give Kids the World is inspiring--if you don't know about it or by whom it was founded, I can ask Hannelore for details. As I recall, the founder lost many family members in the Holocaust.
She's out gardening right now. We have a beautiful day and the sky and water are blue.


FROM S.H. IN MI: I've been to Disneyland a couple of times. What was interesting to me was how clean they keep it of garbage. Also what is interesting is that they take the ideas of real stuff--little children of the world, the presidents, pirates, an old house that might be haunted, the bears, Tahiti house with parrots in it, etc., etc., etc. and spring off on that real stuff technologically to make a whole new world that is peaceful and fun and an escape from this real stuff that probably has problems. For children dealing with serious medical problems and undoubtedly constantly involved in a barrage of medical tests and procedures and very familiar with a whole bunch of medical equipment, the way their lives intersect with technology, they of all kids probably see technology as possibly leading to an escape from the real problem stuff of their lives. How do we handle complexity? For myself, I also use technology. The Word, other people's words, my own words, for me The Word triumphs always over all other words but I had to find a way to "give it up." The internet and computer printer have proved invaluable in doing that because I go ahead and indulge my need to have the real stuff spring off technologically to make a self-contained world of W ords and print out the complicated ideas and stuff of people, together with the Word that comes from Miriam Woolbert and fold up the gathered pages and carry them around prayerfully in my pocket. God must hear my need to have all of those W ords close together to feel most secure that He is dealing with them all, I have actually gathered the problems so He can work on them, I suppose like Disney gathers the real stuff, the kids, the house, the pirates, the bears, the technology so that sick kids and their families can feel the most secure that people and hopefully they also think God are working on their problems. I'm glad for Disney's contribution too--it has brought joy to millions of people. Peace,

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Like a jigsaw puzzle...one piece at a time.

FROM J.L. IN MI: As one who has been to Disneyland and Disney World several times, I can tell you they are children's (AND adults) dream worlds. Watching the kids enjoying themselves is the most fun! As for complexity, I try to stay away and when I have to, I deal with it straight on. Like my jigsaw puzzles, somehow the pieces all fit...if I take the time to work it through...one piece at a time.

No comments: