Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 5/27/08
“I have never been lost, but I will admit of being confused for several weeks.”
(Daniel Boone) I can relate to this quote by D.B. I rarely stop to ask anyone for directions. Once I was confused in Holland, MI, but not lost. When you don’t have the answer, where do you turn? ;-) Jack


FROM J.L. IN MI: Have you ever read the book "The Compass in Your Nose?" It describes how almost everyone has a compass which will direct you automatically in the right direction. Well, I don't have that....I can never find my way anywhere. My daughter can automatically know the right direction. Many times I marvel how Gary and Kimberly can just know the right way. Well, I was not given that blessing. I can't find my way out of a paper bag. :-) But when looking for the answer, I go to prayer everytime, (or the map or Gary, if I'm lost). PS I have always admired Daniel Boone as he was extraordinary!!! He helped "borne" this country! His wife was extraordinary too as she was left alone most of their married frontier life and still managed to hold the family together and survive in the wilderness.

FOLLOW UP: Some years ago scientists at CALTECH (California Institute of Technology in Pasadena) discovered that humans possess a tiny, shiny crystal of magnetite in the ethmoid bone, located between your eyes, just behind the nose. Magnetite is a magnetic mineral also possessed by homing pigeons, migratory salmon, dolphins, honeybees, and bats. Indeed, some bacteria even contain strands of magnetite that function, according to Dr Charles Walcott of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology in Ithaca, New York, "as tiny compass needles, allowing them [the bacteria] to orient themselves in the earth's magnetic field and swim down to their happy home in the mud". t seems that magnetite helps direction finding in animals and helps migratory species migrate successfully by allowing them to draw upon the earth's magnetic fields. But scientists are not sure how they do this. n any case, when it comes to humans, according to some experts, magnetite makes the ethmoid bone sensitive to the earth's magnetic field and helps your sense of direction.
Some, such as Dr Dennis J Walmsley and W Epps from the Department of Human Geography of the Australian National University in Canberra writing in Perceptual and Motor Skills as far back as in 1987, have even suggested that this "compass" was helpful in human evolution as it made migration and hunting easier.
Following this fascinating factoid, science journalist Marc McCutcheon entitled a book The Compass in Your Nose and Other Astonishing Facts.


FROM GOOD DEBT JON: While driving, I always stop and get directions, no big deal. “Pride cometh before a fall.” Sometimes on bigger things I wait too long. But I am learning as I get older.

FROM L.P. IN MI: Ha ha. Chris accuses me of using him as my personal Wikipedia. He's got such a good memory for facts.

FROM D.P. IN MN: I don't think Don ever got lost--he had a fantastic sense of direction, having grown up withnorth, south, east and west ingrained in his head on the Iowa farm, so I just enjoyed the ride all those years! Now I really get lost!

FROM SDG IN TAMPA BAY: I ask the little man on my GSP. What a wonderful invention.

FROM CJL IN OH: To a compass that fits the occasion! RESPONSE: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;In all you ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.Wherever the road leads, be my compass O Lord.Show me the way to the place you have prepared for me.You alone know the way -

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Reminds me of a friend's mother who once said, "You're never lost if you have a full tank of gas".



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some long distance cousin of Jerry's was related to Daniel Boone.