Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 5/20/08
“It’s hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.”
(Sally Kempton) Sally is a teacher of meditation as a way of controlling the inner self. The mind is a marvelous instrument, but it can become, at times, at battleground. While meditation can become a calming force for some, I find that prayer does the same for me. In prayer, you can use words, or you can be silent. What works for you? ;-) Jack


FROM MOLINER RFP: So far nothing works for me. It's a constant battle. Think I'll call a cease fire.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Like any other battlefield the war is not always won by the crowd favorite. Wellington defeated Napoleon because he could keep his trains running, troops supplied, and well fed. If we keep our minds feed with “the good stuff” and bring in supplies (prayer, reading, and wholesome thinking) on a regular basis we can easily defeat General Beelzebub.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: The enemies in my head are my worst ones to fight. Prayer is the only thing that helps. I find I can't turn off my mind sometimes...especially when I wake up at night. To turn them off, I recite the Lord's Prayer. Works everytime.
JACK'S RESPONSE: A woman once told me how difiicult it was for her to stand beside her 16-year-old son's casket and pray the Lord's Prayer. She came to the petiton, "Thy will be done," and had to stop. She summoned the courage and faith to pray "Thy will be done" and to finish the prayer. She was able to walk away...with the peace that passes all understanding.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Mediation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find wrapping my mind around some scriptural passage works best for me. Every day I try to look at scripture. Then my own words take off from that. I suppose since I myself did not think of the scripture but God inspired it, then, even while I'm thinking it, I'm being silent in the face of it. Good practice for listening. This might be what is known as contemplative prayer.
Peace,
Sharon