Friday, November 02, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 11/2/07
“There’s nothing that gives more assurance than a mask.”
(Colette) I suppose you saw a wide range of false faces (as we used to call them) when the children came to your door on Halloween. Most of us put on a mask every day. For what reason? Today mine is a smiley face, because I’m back at the computer sending out “my words.” I spent a few days in Fort Myers, FL, watching son David play hardball in the Roy Hobbs’ World Series for those, 35 and older. ;-) Jack


FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Being genuine and confident gives more assurance. A mask can slip or fall off. I paraphrase William Matthew’s (1875) in Getting On In the World, “…some must be careful the wolves skin does not slip and reveal the ass beneath.”

MORE FROM JON: I remember thinking how unusual the Matthews quote was in a Victorian Era book.
Your mask quote could also apply to the presidential debates (both sides) 14 candidates trying to disguise who they really are, the wolves skin will eventually slip (usually after the election). I didn’t want to muddy up my response with political angst.

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: My mask today was one of a grateful, happy person because I have a new job and I like it!

FROM M.U. IN MICHIGAN: (Commenting on Sanibel, which is near Fort Myers) You have heard of the Sanibel Stoop! I am proud to say that I personally know the gentleman that wrote the poem the Sanibel Stoop, Hal Austin. He had a condo in our condominium complex in Sanibel Arms West. Ours was on the gulf...his was next to the pool. We enjoyed ours every summer and I had about 40 penpals that I wrote all year long and arranged to have all of the families there every summer at the same time. I loved shelling and stooped over all day long every day looking for the most perfect, small specimens...I can name them all. I still make shell mirrors and mosaic shell mirrors. I can't wait to replenish my inventory of bright orange and yellow horse conchs! I can't wait to take my children there!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Believe it or not, I'm one of those people who get freaked out at masks. And let me tell you, there were some REALLY ugly ones this Halloween. I like to look into people's eye when I talk to them and not some scary mask. But, they definitely do think people put on their masks each day...well, maybe not everyday, but I know I do some days!

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: When I see a mask, and I don't mean kid stuff, I wander what the person behind it is hiding.

FROM CLASSMATE, A.W.: Interestingly, the American Masters (PBS) special on Carol Burnette, indicated that she was at her best when portraying someone else or one of her many roles on her show. Then she was "wearing a mask".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, Pastor Freed. Mine is a smiley face now too thinking about how wonderful it must have been for you to watch your son play hardball. There's nothing like watching our kids do stuff they have a passion for!!!! Keeps a person young at heart and in love with life. And I bet your passion for Winning Words has a similar effect on your son as it does on us too.