Monday, November 12, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 11/12/07 (Veterans’ Day)
“We often take for granted the very people who most deserve our gratitude.”
(Cynthia Ozick) Today we remember and honor those in the past and in the present who have been members of the armed forces. Are you a veteran, or has someone in your family been a military person? There are others, too, who deserve our gratitude. I think of the parents, teachers and friends who have influenced us. ;-) Jack

FROM C.S. IN WISCONSIN: If you look at the statue of the flag being raised on Iwo Jima you'll see 13 hands on the pole. Why 13 when there were 6 soldiers. The man who reated the statue simply said that the 13th hand was the hand of God.

THE INSCRIPTION ON THE STATUE READS: "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue."

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Old Geezers remember the Depression, World War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War 1950-55, The Cold War, the jet age and the moon landing the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005 the Jet Age and the Moon Landing, not to mention Vietnam. "Geezers" are easy to spot: At sporting events, during the playing of the Star Spangled BANNER. Old Geezers remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.

MORE FROM J.L.: A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his, or her, life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

FROM REV. J.S. IN MICHIGAN: Today (yesterday) is Armistice Day and I remember the bloody conflict that is now called World War I. My sister Jeanne and I used to face East at 11 am on the 11th in honor of all those who fought to bring about a better world (until Wilson and Lodge screwed things up....along with Clemenceau and Lloyd George). My Dad was in the Army in that war. It seems that all of our holidays have become Veterans Day.....Decoration Day, July 4th, Labor Day, etc. have all turned into days to remember veterans. I like that you wrote that we ought to remember others as well....parents, teachers, friends.....folks who fought for peace in our world. I'll remember you today!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I started to write, “…said the politician to the taxpayer.” Then I read on and saw the quote had to do with Veterans Day. My dad, who died 40 years ago was in WWII. Many of the best people I know are serving or have served. While I disagree with most overseas wars, I do want to honor the men who are sent to fight them.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: A very appropriate word for this day - I just secured ten days ago a list of my grade school teachers - reading their names, I recall how helpful they were and how much I owe them. They taught during the depression - when teachers were dismissed if they married! How these ladies put their teaching ahead of their personal lives!

JACK'S RESPONSE: Yep; that's the way it was in my day, too. My favorite teacher, Miss Ruth Erickson, taught 6th Grade. She and her boyfriend took our whole class on a bike excursion. Since I didn't own a bike, I had to borrow one. It was so much fun. She married shortly after I went to Junior High. She is now deceased, but I had a chance to visit her after she retired (she went back to teaching when the rules changed), and we had a great time "remembering."

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: and you. thanks and love

MORE FROM M.L.: i believe that people come into each other's lives for a reason. yours was to help keep us believing in tomorrow when each day was a challenge. it has been a great gift to reunite. it has simply reinforced my belief.

No comments: