Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 5/30/07
“It shall be done.”
(From a story, The Blue Vase) A general lived by this motto and taught his soldiers to follow it, too. When an order is given, it is to be followed out with no questions asked. This reminds me of the petition in the Lord’s Prayer: “Thy will be done.” I’ve usually thought of it in terms of acquiescing to God’s will, rather than following God’s direction with no questions asked. How about you? ;-) Jack


FROM GREG IN TEXAS:
(Sorry, but I can't get the picture to show up. Jack)
Searching for Character in 2007!
“We know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” Romans 5:3b-5
What does the word “character” mean to you? Did you know the original uses of the word from the ancient French and Greek languages dealt with the art of engraving and the instruments used to engrave? Now I understand my dictionary’s first of twelve meanings for “character,” “a distinctive mark.” My dictionary doesn’t even begin to list the behavior qualities we normally associate with “character” until meanings five through twelve.
Character or the lack thereof, is a major point of conversation in our contemporary context. The media seems to dwell on instant celebrity that is usually the result of the lack of character in the lives of today’s athletes, entertainers, politicians and leaders of all kinds. The mark that is being left on our children and youth is one that says fame and fortune are more important than values and integrity. A moment in the spotlight, even for infamy, is lifted up as a target to shoot for. Growing in knowledge and integrity is secondary to growing in recognition. It’s not the type of mark you leave behind that’s important, simply that you make a mark, good or bad.
In the middle of the front row in the picture above is a man who has left an indelible mark on my life. Above he is identified as 2/Lt. Lorn W. Matelski, co-pilot of the B-24 behind them. He left a mark on my life through his character, encouragement and mentoring. Today he’s a retired educator, veteran, father, grandfather and Lutheran. Many long years ago, he was my principal for most of my elementary school years and then the assistant principal for two of my high school years. He praised me when I did well, but he wasn’t afraid to correct or challenge me when I behaved poorly, inappropriately, or with less than a whole-hearted effort. He was the first to tell me that I could become anything I wanted to be with gifts God has given me. He has left a “distinctive mark” on my life. To Lorn and to all the veterans we remember on this Memorial Day, I say, “Thank you and thanks be to God for the hope we have today because of your suffering, perseverance and character.”
What kind of mark is your life leaving on this world and our younger generations? If your children and grandchildren are looking for character in leadership, are they seeing it in you? Who’s waiting for you to make a positive mark on their life? Does the mark of Christ’s suffering and hope show in your life?


FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: I sense a sharp contrast between the winning word - "It shall be done" - it is the order or will of the person that is to be fulfilled - the reference in the petition of our Lord's prayer it is the will of God that all persons, not just me or you, is to be done . . . fulfilled . . . accomplished.

FROM MOLINER, D.S.: Our soldiers sometimes have a struggle with this, don't they?

MORE FROM D.S.: I'm referring mostly to the ones that later get brought up on charges because they DID follow orders from their superior, but someone later decides the order was "unlawful". I do have a problem with that in a time of war. Tough dilemma.

FROM I. D. IN MICHIGAN: The will I feel we are meant to follow is using the power of free will we have been blessed with to do for each other that which would make God know that we do love God, in a free and open way, the reason God elected to bestow free will upon us. The will is ours, free will, and it is the most powerful basis for a genuine and real relationship with our creator. Following God's direction with no questions asked would be to ignore the responsibility given us with free will, and make God's "direction" the accountable entity rather than ourselves.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: Brings up the subject of discernment.

FROM C.R. IN MARYLAND: .......that's okay as long as we "know" what IS God's will. Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the Chief telling us in boot camp--we (a person of higher rank)can't make you do anything, but we can sure make you wish you had. Fits a lot of circumstances.
Don Z