Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 5/23/07
“To him who is in fear, everything rustles.”
(Sophocles) Rustle is a word that you don’t hear much anymore. It’s one of those onomatopoeia words which I like. On the other hand, fear and its partner, terror, are used so much by the media and the politicians that we ought to call those guys, rustlers. ;-) Jack



FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i also like to play with words. i know a word that rhymes with rustler, it begins with an "h".

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: Was it Churchill or Roosevelt who said "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." (From Jack: It was Roosevelt in his first inaugural speech.)

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: I am working a lot in cancer research so it is a battle sometimes not to imagine myself or my loved ones as a research case in one of my studies. I started working on a melanoma study and suddenly all of my freckles were "rustling". It's hard not to catch the panic bug. Read the headlines of the the health & fitness magazines at the grocery next time you are there. There are a lot of rustlers there too.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of fear."
--Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain

No comments: