Thursday, November 08, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 11/8/18
“On a clear night and you see the moon smiling down on you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”  (Neil Armstrong’s family)  Perhaps you’ve seen, First Man, the movie about the first human landing on the moon.  A friend of mine was part of the team that made it happen.  Often, on a bright moonlit night, I look up and marvel that such an event as the moon landing took place in my lifetime.  During your life, what marvelous event comes to mind?   ;-)  Jack

  FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  my birth! :):):)    the computer and the internet.   heart  transplants.   the jet engine.  the Red Sox winning the World Series 4 times after an 86 year drought!===JACK:  Those happened in my lifetime, too.===JACK:  Have people ever been offended (or taken it in the wrong way) when you've winked and smiled at them?

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  https://youtu.be/Nz5DLO8fclA===JACK:  On a clear day, or on a cloudy day, Barbra's voice brightens my day.===LIZ:  https://youtu.be/vipeYpS7m14  this was one of dad’s favorite movies & songs, “annie.” no one does it better than barbra...the sun always shines again. if not tomorrow, then the next day... or the day after that. bet your bottom dollar!===JACK:  Gaga has Little Monsters.  Mariah has Mariah's Lambs.  There are Fanilows, Claymates and Parrotheads.  Sometimes Barbra's fans are called, "People who need People!"

FROM WALMART REV:  Up till now, my lifetime on planet earth...here, I thought the moon was winking at me in agreement?!?! 0;-)===JACK:   Have people ever been offended (or taken it in the wrong way) when you've winked and smiled at them?===EWV:  You can count them on one hand over the past many years here in Willlmar . . . usually lumped them into just the greeting in general . . . only 2 or 3 come to mind.===JACK:  Life is full of risks.  To do nothing is a risk, too!

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  All my children and their families have accepted Christ, and I think they are tithers.===JACK:  Congratulations.  I'm pleased that my children seem to be following the teachings of Christ.

FROM DB IN WB:  1) seeing blood moons  2) seeing the ocean floor and tropical fish firsthand ===JACK:  I've heard that the4 ocean is the most unexplored frontier on Earth.===DB:  Thank you for helping bring to mind such beauty and wonder!  for fun:   go to You Tube and type in  "scuba video"  search for whatever looks interesting.  Certain parts of the world are known for their extraordinary diving due to the water clarity. Belize is one site, Indonesia is another. I was at John Pennicamp Park in Key Largo. It was pretty good. I saw parrot fish and queen fish, and a baby nurse shark and a tiny fish that was magenta!  Amazing!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  The births of my daughter and grandkids.===JACK:  Of course, but, apart from that...how about learning to fly a helicopter?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  The births of my 4 children; Riding high above the panoramic terrain of IL in the 12 story high Disney Hot Air Balloon; Trip to Japan during Cherry Blossom time; Yes, the Space saga is certainly fascinating and spectacular!  (I cannot believe that 207 people have prepaid ($250,000.00!) to be a passenger on the first tourist rockets to go 100 miles up into space, and view the Earth, and experience weightlessness , tentatively scheduled for 2023!) So many
"Spectaculars" in our lifetime! Who would have thought of robots and drones in the work force, of computers and phones with instant messaging and information , etc. etc. etc. during our childhood in the 30's and 40's??! Incredible years to be alive, haven't they been?!===JACK:  ...and, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,  Nor have entered into the heart of man  The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” (1 Cor 2:9)

FROM APPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  I was on a USAF C-141 transport bound for Europe when the landing occurred. A matter of tremendous excitement and pride for all aboard.  You may remember that I am a ham radio operator. My present emphasis is on bouncing signals off the moon back to other hams. You really get the feeling of the distance when you simply ping and listen for your own echo. Your signal takes around 2 1/2 seconds to return and because of Doppler effect its tone is either higher (when the moon is rising and getting closer) or lower (on moonset). The signal is extremely weak under the best of conditions.===JACK:  Are the "ham operators" a dying breed?  It would be such a terrible loss if they went the way of T-Rex.  What is the source for new operators?

FROM SHALOM JAN:  That event was witnessed on TV at the "clubhouse" for a park where we were vacationing together by our then-3-year-old son and my dad, his only grandfather.  That's a pretty cool event for my 52-year-old-son to remember!===JACK:  9/11 kept me glued to the TV.  I'd rather be watching the moon landing...more positive.

FROM MY LAWYER:  Indoor plumbing!  When I was a little boy growing up on a farm here in Oakland County, we had a one-hole privy.  Fortunately, it was just in the summertime, so we didn't have to wade out in the cold!!!===JACK:  What I remember about outhouses was the odor , the bees, and the catalogs and their shiny paper.===ML:  I remember my Dad shoveling lye in the hole about once a week!!!  All that aside, look what we've witnessed during out lifetimes.  From privies, to watching men walking on the moon, to instant world communications, etc.  Just amazing.  Think of what changes our grandchildren will experience!!!===JACK:  My grandchildren and I may see the same things today, but they understand more than I do.  They skim through the information on their Smart Phone while I hunt and peck on my old-fashioned Flip Phone.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  There are so many! We used to love to drive across the state to see the rockets go up!  And now we love to visit NASA!===JACK:  I'm told that the sight, as well as the sound, make the lift-off event spectacular!

FROM JP IN MF:  I always marvel that my mother's grandpa Harvey, who lived with us, was 19 when Wright brothers flew at Kitty hawk AND alive for manned space flight. Talk about blowing your mind!===JACK:  Yes, that is a "two-fer."  Does it count for anything that I knew Harvey and was his pastor?

FROM CPA BOB:  The polio vaccine, end of the Vietnam war, revitalization of Detroit (excluding schools), particularly downtown, the Tigers winning the 1984 World Series.  I’m sure there are many more.  What have others come up with?===JACK:  The Salk Vaccine!  How could I forget?  Read the blog for some more interesting =comments.  www.jackswinningwords.blogspot.com 
===BOB:  I was thinking public type events.  Of the comments in your blog, the miracle of childbirth would come first for me. Thanks for giving us so many things to think about.===JACK:  As I sat down at the computer to begin my day...for some reason your name came to mind even before I touched the keys.  Twilight Zone!

FROM PRAW:  I thought of a pizza pie..=== JACK:  Do you remember the song, That's Amore withe line:  "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie?"  It was sung by Dean Martin.

Dean Martin - That's Amore - YouTube


No comments: