Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/23/18
“Robots are not people.  They are mechanically more perfect, they have an astoundingly intellectual capacity, but they have no soul.”  (Karol Capek)  In a recent conversation, robots came up in 4 unrelated ways…cleaning Hospital ORs…a surgeon saying that robotic surgery can be more exact than humans in certain situations…a person who owns two self-driving cars…and, after seeing, 2001, A Space Odyssey…The final thought was: “but robots have no soul!”  What are the ramifications?   ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i once met a person who i thought may also have had no soul.  hopefully he one day found one.  such an "empty" person morally, spiritually, ethically, etc.  have a good day, Jack.   btw,  i saw a video clip a year or two ago of an auto plant in Japan and 70% of those cars were made by robots.  robots don't get sick, don't show up late,  don't argue with the boss,  don't go on strike, don't take vacations, and generally they do near-perfect work.  you can see their appeal for manufacturing companies.===JACK:  What is a soul?  A God-connection?  Even the person you described has a God-connection by way of being human.  The manifestation of a robot society is a society apart from God.  I believe that the omnipotent God can do something about that.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Getting an early start today?===JACK: Winning Words is such a part of my life that I want to make sure that readers get them as they start off their day.

FROM WALMART REV:  All I know is I keep being asked if I am one on many of my internet correspondences nowadays . . . even have to decipher some hard to read alphabet letters and numbers to prove I am not?!?! 0;-)===JACK: Ministers have to work at proving that they are human.  I remember the first time I heard my pastor fart.  I never thought that preachers did that.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  They may be able to do many many things and even be given some type of emotions but, they don't have souls.  They can’t imagine what people feel deep down in souls and can they make choices such as good vs evil?===JACK:  Some folks think that when God created people He created robots...Predestination...that it is predetermined (preprogrammed) who will go to heaven and who will go to hell.  That concept is beyond my understanding.

FROM DB IN WB:  Ramifications:  we lose our souls as we rely on them too much and start to expect people to perform just like them!===JACK:  That's an interesting take!  Thanks

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I suppose we'll. always need humans to program the robots; Hard to imagine what the future will look like, isn't it?  Robots are fascinating, but won't ever replace need for humans. Reading material about Artificial Intelligence can give one the shivers! :-)  But assuredly, they have no soul, as we define soul, no Godly relationship.====JACK:  When I begin to fear that robots will take over this world...and that things are going from bad to worse...that old hymn puts things into perspective..."This is my Father's World, O, let me ne'er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the rukler, yet."



FROM RS IN TEXAS:  No making a decision on gut feel there.===JACK:  No "grace" either.

No comments: