Friday, October 19, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/19/18
“There’s no bad day that can’t be overcome by listening to a barbershop quartet.”  (Chuck Sigars)  A favorite movie of mine is The Music Man.  Great music!  Prof Harold Hill’s Seventy-Six Trombones…the Barbershop Quartet singing, Lida Rose.  Quartet singing has had its ups and downs, but it seems to be regaining popularity, even among women.  There’s something about 4-part harmony that brings smiles to listeners.  Are you one of the smiling ones?  ;-)  Jack

FROM PASTY PAT:  Yup!===JACK:  Yup, Yup, Yup and Yup...in 4-part harmony!

FROM DR JUDY:  YES!!!!!! You’re right. When I come across it, I can’t help but smile.===JACK:  One of the barbershop favorites is Charlie Chaplin's song, Smile.

FROM M&L:  Thanks Jack.  We saw Music Man in Stratford Ont. and it was great!  Nice reminder ===JACK:  Stratford doesn't always have to be about Shakespeare.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I disagree. Barbershop Quartets are annoying to me personally. Barbershop Quartets and Opera singers....no thanks. ===JACK:  There's usually someone singing off-key, but that's OK.  I'm like that (more than) occasionally.

FROM CPA BOB:  I smiled when I read “Seventy-Six Trombones”.  They bring back good memories.===JACK:  That's a real toe-tapper, isn't it?

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I love BSQ’s!===JACK:  I can't recall any school-age children singing BSQ.  Is it just "old-folk's" stuff?

fROM GOPHER LYNN:  I am!    Happy Friday to you!JACK:  I seem to recall that Barber-shoppers sing..."When you're smilin' the whole world smiles with you."

FROM CZB IN NH:  One of my favorites too! Alex played Marion in the school musical. I know all those songs by heart!===JACK:  I'm sure that a lot of people don't know that"Good-night my love" is a slower version of "76 trombones."

FROM INDY GENIE:  Yes I am one of the smiling faces. Music in general does that for me but that 4 part harmony gets right to my heart!===JACK:  A seminary professor once said that church music should appeal to heart and not to the toe. Later in life, he changed his tune.===GENIE:  Oh, that's good!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  The perfect blend of four musically gifted voices sound like heavenly angels!  Love Sweet Adeline’s and Barbershop music!===JACK:  Barbershop Angels?  I guess it says in the Bible that Heaven will be a place where "ear hath not heard" certain things.===JUDY:  Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hear the angels sing barbershop songs?  I for one believe angels are fearsome creatures and when I picture them singing makes me smile!!

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:   Barbershop Angels?  I guess it says in the Bible that Heaven will be a place where "ear hath not heard" certain things.===JACK:  Has your women's group ever tried "barbershop-style singing?===MARLYS:  Oh yes.  It is fun—but hard to find music.  Most of it is not written in treble clef and they don’t read bass clef.

from kk:  FROM KK:  So timely.  I am at International contest and quartet finals today in St Louis
My chorus Mike tests for finals tomorrow .performances on you tube  My chorus Motor City Blend ===JACK:  I'm going to have to check that out!
Motor City Blend Chorus, Chorus Semifinals, 2018 - YouTube

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I smiled at the funeral/memorial service.  Lutherans are great at the SATB harmony and unafraid to sing.  I recall choir at the Missouri synod school I attended – once some of the guys were able to get low in 8th grade that it took on another dimension.  I feel like good singing is a hallmark of the denomination – what would Luther think? ===JACK:  I could envision Martin singing bass in a BSQ.


FROM SUES:  Agreeing with you, barbershop quartet music warms the heart! ===JACK:  I don't think I've ever heard a barbershop quartet in a church worship service.  I take that back.  In my younger days there was a radio program, The Old-Fashioned Revival Hour, which featured a quartet.  I remember them singing "This World Is Not My Home."  A real toe-tapper!  01 This World Is Not My Home - YouTube

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I sang in Sweet Adelines for several years, and wrote some of their annual shows; In a quartette I sang lead, and in another tenor. It's great music to sing, and I still always go to their annual show. I'm having a men's quartette (champions in contest) sing for our April Senior Event! Music in general is a Smile Promoter! I portrayed the Mayor's wife twice In MUSIC MAN; Such a fun and lively show !! ===JACK:  Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn!  You'd be perfect!  (...because you act good!)  I like the sound of that name, especially when said by Paul Ford.








No comments: