Friday, October 12, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/12/18
“Nothing is enough for the one to whom enough is too little.”  (Epicurus)  Many churches emphasize stewardship (asking for money) in the fall of each year.  Synagogues ask for money, too.  As a pastor I never had a problem with asking, because it takes money to do charitable work.  The Bible has many stories about sharing the wealth and the sin of neglecting the needy.  If I were in the business of raising funds today, I might refer to the words of Epicurus.   ;-)  Jack

FROM SF:  Love this. ‘Enough’ is my new mantra.===JACK:  Somewhat related...I've been researching the philosopher Schopenhauer who was a known pessimist.  Life, for him was a negative, full of pain and suffering,  As a friend was dying, he leaned close to him and whispered into his ear, "Have you had enough?"  ...or something like that.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I once read in an article “money” once mentioned more than any word in the Bible.  I don’t believe it but I know it’s talked about a lot.  Money and the means to earn it are gifts.  It All belongs to the One who gifted us with both the means and the money.===JACK:  Talents is a word in the Bible that can mean money as well as special abilities.  The real message, as I see it, is that the haves should be willing to share with the have-nots.

FROM MARMAR:  I once heard a preacher on the radio say, "When it comes to giving, some people will stop at nothing."===JACK:  A friend of mine and his wife were on a "tight budget."  In church he accidently put a $20 bill in the offering instead of a $1.  As the plate went by he thought of grabbing the $20 out of the plate...or telling the pastor after the service of the mistake and asking for the $20 in exchange for a $1.  He and his wife decided to let it go and to trust God.  Later in that week they received news of an unexpected inheritance.  True  story!===MM:  I believe it.  I have heard other such stories.  What a faith builder.  You can't outgive God.===JACK:  Some similar stories might be “made up,” but I’m impressed, because I know the people who were involved.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My S.S. lesson this week is on the parable Luke 16:1-9. A difficult one
to discuss, so unlike the Jesus we think we know....Bet not many pastors preach stewardship messages on that one! :-(===JACK:  It might be interesting some Sunday to have your class members to tell stories about experiences in giving...and how giving has evolved for them over the years.





No comments: