Thursday, October 11, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/11/18
“The countenance is the portrait of the soul.”  (Cicero)  Countenance (facial appearance) has recently taken on a new meaning.  It’s now a newer form of personal I.D.  No two faces (even twins) are the same.  Instead of being fingerprinted, just look into the camera.  Now, if only there could be some way to look into a person’s face and read their feelings.  I guess that a smile gives a clue…or, a frown, a tear, a blush.  Were you watching the recent TV hearings?   ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP:  Heard a snippet on “Wait wait don’t tell me” that facial recognition software for phones has trouble first thing in the morning. And no it wasn’t part of the “bluff the listener game” just one of those odd stories they seem to dig up
https://slate.com/technology/2018/07/iphone-face-id-struggles-to-recognize-people-in-the-morning.html
===JACK:  Now, that is funny, as in strange.  It's also funny, as in funny.  Someone asked me...What if someone has plastic surgery?

FROM WALMART REV:  I think too close . . . as it left me with a "black eye" on American politics. 0:-/  Two portions of Scriptures did come back to mind (not intended to reflect pointedly at the judge's qualification, but back to Christ's crucifixion) . ."Many false witnesses spoke against him, but they contradicted each other" (Mark 14:56)  “Then the Jews stirred up the influential religious women and the leaders of the city, and they incited a mob against Paul and Barnabas and ran them out of town" (Acts 13:50)  I know now how that can actually take place in such a setting.===JACK:  Do you think that Jesus ever got a black eye for standing up for the poor and the women who were  oppressed?  It could happen to him or to anyone who turned the other cheek.===REV:  Compared to what He did suffer, a black eye only would seem trivial.===JACK:  Just wondering...

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Yes we did.===JACK:  And...did the countenances show anything to you?===JUDY:  Not really.  Did their countenances effect you?===JACK:  In my business I think that it's important to read the unspoken message, often seen in the countenance.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I liked the old wording of the Aaronic benediction which asked that God's countenance be upon us.===JACK:  That's partly the reason I chose today's quote...although back in those days countenance was a "churchy" word that I didn't understand.

FROM RJP:  Body language at the hearings was very interesting. Because I study body language in my sales approach I had some strong opinions. But I usually do, don't I.
What is your opinion.??===JACK:  You asked for my opinion...Forgetting the politics and concentrating on body language, the one being considered as a potential judge for the Supreme Court did not appear to have a judicial demeanor.  Agitated, argumentative, unmeasured...  I would cross him off as a candidate for a sales rep, let alone as a judge.  Yes, he was defending himself, but I would expect it to be done in a calmer way.  REMEMBER, I'm giving an opinion on body language and not on politics.  Now, put away your elephant pin and tell me what you saw.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Jack, do you get much sleep? I'm in the process of changing my go-to-bed habits to hopefully get more sleep.===JACK:  I never feel sleep deprived, but I do have a desire to put some Winning Words on your computer so that they appear as your day begins.  I try not to send them before midnight (PDT), realizing that friends in Europe may be getting them mid-morning.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I believe that there is something that happens when two people look into each other’s  eyes. Sometimes, the experience is so overwhelming that almost all cognition fails and one may not even be able to verbalize thought. This is not just about romance. It’s what makes us human. “ Sensitive” ,Intuitive, empathetic people are sometimes plagued with this process because the other person may feel, “ you are not listening to me.” Quite the opposite.. the person  may be “listening” to a far higher degree than anyone thought possible. Listening then takes on a whole different meaning than just interrupting sound waves.  Thanks for stimulating this thought of mine, Jack.===JACK:  The eyes are being used as another form of ID.  I've read that eyes have been called, "windows to the soul."  That's scary!  I asked my eye doctor about that, and she was skeptical...as she was peering into my eyes.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  What a a wonderful world in which we live and what a wonderful country in which we live!===JACK: It sounds as though you've been listening to your "South Pacific" song again,,,I'm Only a Cock-eyed Optimist.  BTW, Has Hurricane Florence affected you?===SHIRL:  We have had a lot of rain and the tides have been high-closing the sponge docks at tarpon springs. But we were spared this time! Luckily it moved fast and didn’t linger like Florence. But it is still a catastrophe for those affected!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Countinance is king.  We've always been taught that a smile is contagious, and in my experience that is mostly true. Now and then we run into folks that have apparently been inoculated.===JACK:  Have you heard someone say, "Wipe that smile off your face, or I'll wipe it off for ya"?===JON:  No for 40 years...lol   I always liked, "If you are happy, notify your face."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  That is true, I think, of identical twins; being one, I know our faces were slightly different in shape!  The TV hearings, which I did watch, while caring for my daughter-in-laws' 92 yr. old blind mother. She never misses a news broadcast, on TV, and by careful listening stays abreast of the world.  I definitely thought Kavanaugh lacked the demeanor and calm authenticity of a judge, and would not have voted for him; But he was defending his honor, and reputation, with his children and wife & friends watching, which would be unnerving to say the least. Of course so was she, and she was very believable, in my opinion. But as usual these days, politics prevailed...  In yesterday's blog, concerning Eddie Rickenbacker, Bill and my first date was to see the movie, "They Were Expendable", depicting his 42 days in the Pacific on a raft Impressed me! He was indeed a Hero!!===JACK:  In the hearings (sadly) it became a search for a hero rather than a search for truth (IMO).  Truth, as well as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.













No comments: