Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 6/27/18
“If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say you’re neutral, the mouse will never appreciate your neutrality.”  (Desmond Tutu)  Bullying these days doesn’t only happen among the young.  The little guy doesn’t stand a chance unless someone sees the unfairness and chooses to intervene.  Ann Landers used to say, “MYOB,” but sticking up for the mouse IS my business.  Victims of exploitation need an advocate.  If not me, who?  If not you, who?    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  sarah sanders is a victim of bullying... are you sticking up for her? just asking.===JACK: I wrote some really good replies to this, but the delete key got in the way. ====JACK:  Sometimes the fish swims away from the bait.

.FROM CZB:  Good one!===JACK:  I miss having talks with you.===CZB:  Yes!  But the problem is becoming a news weary electorate who might decide to just “shut down” and leave it to the “ others” to vote===JACK:  I feel an unease over the lack of a unifying message and a unifying leader.  "Divide and conquer (rule0" is the old slogan.  "Two more years" would be a disaster!

FROM LS:  Bullying is a complicated formula, although a simple, uncomplicated act in its deliberate result.  choose  to intervene whenever possible  to encourage one to see the greatness in themselves,  to give them the opportunity to feel self confident, to enable them to feel love and to enable them to the do what is right unto their fellow human beings because they intend to.  It works on both sides of the bullying formula. When the above does not work there is always the element of surprise from me - giving the situation a 1-2 punch.  Have a blessed day.===JACK:  I tend to be concerned when I observe unfairness.  Of course, unfairness is in the eye of the beholder.  Sometimes we become stronger by personal resistance, or even by becoming a martyr.  Problems don't always have easy solutions or one solution.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Amen to that.===JACK:  Problems sometimes are so pervasive that we give up on seeing ourselves as part of the solution.  So many times I have preached: "Every little bit helps."  Now, I have to believe that and practice it.

FROM WALMART REV:  Hard to decipher at times . . . are Christians nowadays the victims or the perpetrators as some are suggesting?! Democrats or Republicans? Whites or Blacks? or, are we all guilty of "shooting ourselves in the foot" trying to figure whose right and whose wrong? I'm wondering if we will ever sit down together and talk about our differences, how we might solve some of these dilemmas, and quit yelling and demonstrating only!!!!!!  0:-/===JACK:  In its history the Christian Church has been guilty of bullying...and so have I, as my sister can attest.  Heaven on earth is an elusive goal, and so we hope for better things in the sweet by and by.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We should all take a stand.  I know a couple who never voted because they might have to serve on a jury!  At one time names were pulled from people who voted.  I was just flabbergasted!  Now it’s different but thankfully neither ever was chosen.  I wouldn’t have wanted anyone with that attitude deciding my fate.===JACK:  We're promised a "jury of peers."  Is that really possible?  Definition of a peer:  "a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, background, and social status."  But what we have is better than no jury. ===JUDY:  As one who served as a Jury Foreman, I can say most of the women on the jury were peers.  But, to take unskilled untrained people to listen to sly lawyers and try to figure out the fate of a family just didn’t seem right.   It’s not the best way but it is the way we have in this country and as fair as we could make it.===JACK:  Do you remember the All In The Family episode when Edith Bunker was on a jury?  I really liked that show and its characters.===JUDY:  No I don’t remember seeing that episode.  How politically incorrect that program would be now.  They would be all fired. ===JACK:  It was meant to be satire.  The Archie Bunkers still exist.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Couldn't agree more -  good examples might be those (people or companies) with a lot of money vs the little guy....or big government......or refugees.  The list goes on. ===JACK:  Sometimes the elephant trumpets so loudly that the mouse's squeak can't be heard.  ===RS:  I take it the "trump" in trumpets was not a pun.===JACK:  Sometimes I like to be subtle.  My hope is in God's ultimate judgment where right triumphs over wrong.  As the hymn goes: "This is my Father's world, O let me ne'er forget That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the Ruler, yet!"

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  What an excellent quote! I think we get discouraged because the people
 with big money seem to have the power, and our little "squeaks" are not even noticed or honored in any way, We just have to be faithful in our little corner of the world to help the poor and disadvantaged with the time and funds we have. It will make a difference to THEM, a least!  Our church works with the homeless and some on welfare, which can be time-consuming and expensive; Often they have nowhere else to turn.===JACK:  Remember what Jesus said about the mustard seed.  BIGGER is not always better.

FROM INDY GENIE:  If Not Now https://g.co/kgs/es6R4Z...Thank you for your WW’s today.
I thought of this song that you probably already know but here it is.===JACK:  I'll have to listen to Carrie.  Thanks for introducing me to Iris.  "Let the Mystery Be" has become one of my all-time favorites.  I listen to it often.===GENIE:  You’re welcome....iris is one of my favorites too.
I heard Carrie sing “If Not Now” at a Jewish synagogue a few years ago. She and the rabbi were doing a tag team thing with stories and songs. She ended the evening with that song. Everybody was singing it...so good.








No comments: