Thursday, June 14, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 6/14/18
“You’re a grand old flag, You’re a high flying flag, And forever in peace may you wave.”  (George M. Cohan)  When I was younger, patriotism was, “Hats off; hats off; the flag is passing by.”  On Flag Day most houses seemed to have a flag on display.  Times are different now, but patriotism, really, is what’s displayed in the heart.  To me, it’s a German immigrant, with an accent, singing in our church choir: “America, America, God shed his grace on thee,,”    ;-)  Jack

FROM WALMART REV:  During the season for stock car races at our local fairgrounds each Thursday night and before the prayer and National Anthem, we announce, "Please stand and remove your caps for our . . ." Happy to say that most if not all still do so.===JACK:  Why is it necessary to remind people?  It would be interesting to see what would happen if no reminder was given.  Then, only the reverent and patriotic would stand and remove their caps.  Maybe that's too radical.  Putting that aside, I think that it's an honor that you are asked to give the prayer and sing the anthem.  Do you wave the green flag, too, to start the race?===REV:  Not the flagman but the announcer-- Once every season for the Faster Pastor novelty race with 5-6 local pastors competing, I get to be "the announcer"! I never enjoy racing another person's car, but have fun calling the race. 0;-)===JACK:  I remember attending a small-town race when people in attendance could enter a Spectator Race.  A young person was there with a flashy car.  He entered the race and was involved in a crash that caused real damage...and the car belonged to his father.  OOPS!

FROM HONEST JOHN:Our problem has often been to confuse patriotism with extreme nationalism. ===JACK:  I hadn't really given that a thought.   the patriot is proud of his country for what it does , and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does ; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility while the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to a war...and the extreme of nationalism leads to imperialism.  Currently,our country seems to be experiencing all three, along with care-less-ness.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Thanks for the reminder!  I lose track of dates sometimes, but my flag is out now!===JACK:  Hats off!, Hats off!

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words today, Jack.  thanks...   did you get your 3 Amens??  ===JACK:  As yet, not even a whispered one

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I have already hung my flag on this beautiful day.  With all of the Korean news that reminds me of my first year of teaching I think of how horrific it all was.  Freedom is not free is the message of the memorial. World War 2 and Vietnam we have lived through also.  My phone is giving me problems, so I am on the computer today.  Hope that you have a great day, ===JACK:  As I was driving around this morning I didn't see any displayed, except my own.  I don't necessarily see that as a lack of patriotism.

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  My flag flies 365 days a year on our permanent flagpole.  It was one of the first things we bought when we purchased our house.===JACK:  I'm impressed.  How often do you need to replace it?  Is it lighted at night, or do you take it down at sunset?===LYNN:  About twice a year AND I don’t take it down or have a light.  I follow these rules:  

Lowering or taking down the flag at sunset isn't strictly enforced by the code, it's just a "universal custom." Yet when "a patriotic effect is desired," you can let that thing soar at all hours of the day and night so long as it's "properly illuminated" during the evening and hours of darkness.  So I hope I’m not being unpatriotic ===JACK:  As I wote...Patriotism is in the heart!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We love what the flag represents but sadly people don’t have the deep respect for it or country.  It was so refreshing to see and hear about the old fashioned way the Memorial Day Parade and the speeches were held in all the little towns around us.  Some towns only had a Sheriff’s car and a fire truck with the town’s “Sweetheart” or mayor riding aboard.  But the folks stood side by side with pride and sang the National Anthem.  It was heartwarming!===JACK:  Sometimes in their patriotic zeal, some people forget why they are patriotic.  Freedom of expression (positive or negative), freedom of religion (no forced religion of any kind), the unity of the states ( all linked together in a common cause).. 


No comments: