Monday, June 11, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 6/11/18
“Every time God forgives us, God is saying that God’s own rules do not matter as much as the relationship that God wants to create with us.”  (Richard Rohr)  Legalists are people who say, “The law’s the law!” and punishment is the consequence.  Imagine a God who makes laws (10 of them) and then offers forgiveness.  Why do you suppose he does that?  The ubiquitous John 3:16 is the answer, followed by “Love each other as I have loved you.”    ;-)  Jack 

FROM DR PHIL:  Hmm??  I think he is saying  "I forgive you for your sinfulness because my son Jesus sacrificed his life for you. Jesus tells me your his friend. That is good enough for me."  or something like that  Have a great day===JACK:  Is there a "limitation" on God's forgiveness?  Is forgiveness at his discretion, or by our actions?===DR: Hmm!Just looking at romans.===JACK:  {'m looking at a broader spectrum.  How does forgiveness relate to non-Romans readers?
FROM HONEST JOHN:  The Law is the Law.    If it were not for the Law, we would need no forgiveness.   Check with Luther.===JACK:  There you go,,,bringing Luther into the discussion.  Is God's forgiveness ultimately between God and each individual?===JOHN:  I would say "both/and" ...both for all of humankind and for each individual...original sin unites us in the need for the forgiveness as a people...individual responsibility brings the need for individual confession and forgiveness===JACK:  I'm familiar with the theology, but I'm wondering if, and how, forgiveness is offered to those who know nothing about original sin, regular sin and the like.  Is their a Law for those who do not know that there is a Law?  Maybe it's as the cartographers wrote on their maps when they came to unexplored places...HERE BE GOD!===JOHN:  Many theologians have pointed to the Natural Law to sustain their understanding, found in Paul, that there is no excuse but all are guilty and fall short of the glory of God.===JACK:  ...and according to God's omniscience, grace is offered to all.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  interesting concept... but does god expect us to let pedophiles, rapists, & murderers walk among us?===JACK:  I think that it says, somewhere in the Bible, that God is willing t5o forgive all sinners, even you...and me.===LIZ:  good for god. but that does not answer my question, exactly...===JACK:  God wants us to love one another as He loves us.  The Pharisees asked Jesus, "What does this mean?"  What do you think that God expects of you when it comes to "the sinners" of this world?===LIZ:  i expect he wants violent criminals to pay for their crimes on earth... and for the rest of us to be safe.===JACK:  Of course, I believe with you that God wants the best for us.  I think of this quote by Mother Theresa:   “I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle.  I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much.”  Sometimes it's hard to handle the evil that is in the world.===LIZ:  absolutely! fortunately there is way more good than evil... we just don’t hear about it because it does not make as good a story.

FROM KANSAN DON:  Well spoken/written, Servant.===JACK:  Too many folks focus on the 10 Commandments and ignore the concept of grace.  As C.S. Lewis wrote:  “Everyone thinks forgiveness is a lovely idea until he has something to forgive.”

No comments: