Monday, October 30, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 10/30/17
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.”  The Psalmist)  The #1 fear for Americans is, being asked to speak before a group.  “My” fear (heights) comes in 2nd.  BTW…I’ve never watched “Silence of the Lambs” to its conclusion.  The Fear of Death shows up as #7.  It doesn’t have to be on the Godly person’s list, because God promises to be with us no matter what may come.  A sense of God’s presence is a great comfort.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I'm discovering the facts that:  The older I get the slower I move, and the faster that time goes by. I'm going on a week-long trip without my computer, starting today.
God Bless you today.====JACK: Will you be taking your i-Phone?  That counts as a computer, I think.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  I’m sure you’ve heard of the line...Most Americans would prefer to be in the coffin than giving the eulogy.====JACK:  Nope!  That's a new one to me.  For me, it's the opposite...I'd rather be giving the eulogy.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I don't so much fear heights...go to the mountains every year....as I fear standing on the edge of a precipice.====JACK:  You remind me of Fearless Fosdick.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  My number one is heights.  I have to be driven across the Mackinac Bridge, and I'm not fond of the Blue Water, either, but they don't provide drivers.====JACK:  Where does the "religious right" appear on your list?====JAN:  I don't know what you're fishing for but my take is:  You may be religious in your own manner but that doesn't mean you're right (in the way you act). ====JACK:  I chose today's quote and commentary, thinking of the coming Halloween when people try to put fear into other people.====JAN:  I'm not afraid of them (the religious right) but I fear they have already and will continue to do great harm to the people of our nation.  :-(====JACK:  What disturbs me is how the word, Evangelical, has been "stolen" and turned into something opposite of what it really means.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Christine and I walked out of Silence of the Lambs. Films likes these have no redeeming value as far as I am concerned. Everyone fears something, but I believe in the saying the all fear is . IS FALSE EXPECTATIONS APPEARING REAL!!====JACK:  I can't remember walking out of a movie because I didn't agree with its content...but I don't go to many movie.  I think that Inspector Gadget was the last one.

FROM LGAM:  I've heard it said there's scripture that states something like "That which you fear most comes upon you." However, I've never actually found this scripture... But it certainly played out in my life! I never wanted to live with addiction again after childhood, and yet, genetics brought it into our home. For me, this is when the "rubber hit the road" of faith. I learned in my fear and powerlessness to fall on my face and submit to God's will. And I found Him to be true to His word!
Fear is an emotion placed in us by God, so it's natural to FEEL fear. I believe the Lord calls us to BELIEVE and TRUST in the face of our fears. And this has made all the difference for me! ====JACK:  Isn't it strange...I think that the only time we met face to face was at a Maple Grove training event on addiction many years ago.  We exchanged e-mail addresses at that time and have been in touch ever since.  In addiction cases, I've seen faith overcome genetics...not always, but enough so that I believe that it's possible.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  I fear being alone; although heights and being enclosed(claustrophobia) are close seconds.  I remember that psalm at my father’s funeral, it was a blustery, blizzard cold day in January and when they were lowering his casket I thought he never liked being cold, he won’t like this. Funny the things you think at those difficult times.  I can also tell the story of how a rabbi spoke inappropriately to me during a shiva service the next day, but another time.====JACK:  I've told this story before...but once, when I was stopped for speeding, the officer discovered that I was a pastor... and he said, "Reverent, you guys are supposed to scare the hell out of people with your preaching, not your driving.  Slow down!"

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  My current fear is that the Dodgers will lose Game 6.  However, if they do lose the Series, I will be pleased that the winners are the Houston Astros, who, along with their flood ravaged communities, will be most deserving.====JACK:  My wishes for who wins the baseball World Series vacillates...I like the Astros when Verlander is pitching and when Altuve is batting.   I like the Dodgers when I want the better team to win.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Talking in front of people has never been an issue for me.  Driving someplace I’ve never been before scares me.====JACK:  I think that pastors sometimes fear going into a tragic situation and wondering if they will find the "right" words.  I do praying at times like that.====JUDY:  You are put into very bad situations and I can’t even imagine how you deal with some of it!  God blessed you with some special strengths!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I think we tend to be anxious about the "unknown" and life after death is pretty much an unknown entity. The fact that Jesus has prepared a place for us to be with him, is comforting, but "life" without these bodies is a mystery!  I'm not at all fond of snakes, but I wouldn't call it a fear...it might be if I was thrown into the midst of some! :-) Hare to believe Fear of public speaking is # 1.  To each his own, I guess!====JACK:  So, I guess you never went to see the movie, The Snake Pit.  Maybe you should just read a review.===OAKS:  Yes, I did see the Snake Pit: All I remember now is the scene at the dining table where they were passing the food family style, and the words were passed along, "Save some for Virginia"...and of course by the time the food dish got to Virginia it was empty..My gang of girls in H.S.used this as an inside :joke" from then on, when we ate together. ====JACK:  "Save some for Virginia!"  I like it.  I'll have to try it out during the family Thanksgiving dinner this year.  You might want to reprise it at your table, too.


No comments: