Thursday, October 12, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 10/12/17
“Let’s not get panicky.”  (Branch Rickey)  Did you know that Abe Lincoln had problems with anxiety?  And so do Barbra Streisand. and Whoopi.  In fact, most of us have experienced “panic” situations.  “Experts” advise…Stop and take a deep breath; try to think through the situation, and try to think positively (I think I can; I know I can).  Maybe it’s an unexpected stress event, or being in a crowd, or asked to speak publicly.  If Lincoln could master it, I can, too.    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP:  And it's ok to seek experts for help. Took me many years to accept that I needed help. Years of feeling physically ill. Years of feeling dread. I can work through it better now but an outside perspective was needed to guide me down the path and give me tools to navigate better. I see friends and family struggle with similar things but there is such a reluctance to find help. So maybe I'm a bit preachy on it now but it can affect anyone, whether life is good or tough. It's ok.====JACK:   I recall someone who would not come forward to receive Holy Communion.  I decided to talk with her about the situation.  While we did not get to the bottom of the issue (and that was not my purpose), my assurance that God welcomes all to his table, regardless of past issues, seemed to unlock the gate that had kept her away. 

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  One day at a time====JACK:  ...or, one minute.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Panicking is when you realize you can't find your child in the store!!  Sometimes it's hard to stop and take a deep breath even though that's the thing to do.====JACK:  That happened to my mom when I was little.  A person came in the store and announced that "a child has been hit by a car outside."  Yes, I was the child (not injured).  I had a habit of running away.  They tried to solve the problem by putting a harness on me with a leash.  ====JUDY:  You were hit by a car?  Your parents must have had nervous breakdowns!!!  We were at Hershey, PA., and we lost Andy in the crowd.  We looked everywhere and were panicked.  He had walked to an employee and told her we were lost and could she help him find us!!!  So....they did.

FROM TARMART REV:  “I think I can . . . I know I can!”====JACK:  So help me, God.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  A comedian once said, "I tried to drown my sorrows, but the little devils learned to swim!" :-)My husband was pretty unflappable, which probably kept me grounded, for who doesn't have panicky moments?   When upon the Billows you are Tempest tossed, When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, Count your many blessings, Angels will attend, Help and Comfort Give you, 'til your journey's end!"  Stay Positive!====JACK:  Panicky?  I was at an out of town meeting and received a message that our youngest daughter was in the hospital and that I needed to come home immediately!  Nothing more than that.

No comments: