Monday, May 08, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 5/8/17
“The world is an eternal seesaw.”  (Montaigne)  I wouldn’t be surprised if Montaigne played on a teeter totter when he was a child.  I did.  Did you?  Montaigne was a 16th century French philosopher who is known for taking that which is common and connecting it with intellectual insight.  “What goes up must come down” explains the seesaw and other things as well…the stock market, the temperature, our emotions.  This world has many lessons to teach.    ;-)  Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Montaigne may have been 16th century, but his insight is certainly up-to-date about life today.  We can learn so much if we maintain awareness of what's going on around us.  Regrettably people often don't want to be taught.  There's no limit on learning.  Aging doesn't shut us out from taking a fresh look at things around us.====JACK:  In Florida there is this law... "A state university may waive any or all application, tuition, and related fees for persons 60 years of age or older who are residents of this state. No academic credit shall be awarded for attendance in classes."  I wonder if your state also has such a law?====RI:  The University of Massachusetts in its various branches offers elderly persons 60 years and older tuition-free attendance for classes, if they are permanent residents of the state.  I don't know if that includes other fees too.  There are a number of private universities that offer the same opportunity to the elderly, 60 years and older, residents of the state.====JACK:  Are there any courses that you'd like to take?====RI:  I would be interested in learning about lyricism and atonality in music.====JACK:  Is atonal music composed for those who sing off-key?

FROM HONEST JOHN:  The NY Times Sunday puzzle clues yesterday included " See Saw Marjorie ---".   Easy one for people our age!====JACK:  As I was writing today's WWs I did look up Marjorie Daw and found that the rhyme originated in the 18th century and the the name Daw was probably chosen because it rhymed with the saw in seesaw.  I also read that "daw" was once a modifier to describe a lazy or untidy woman.  Sydney J. Harris once wrote a book..."Things I Learned While Looking Up Other Things."

FROM LBP MOVING TO K-ZOO:  I played on them as a kid. I remember getting the wind knocked out of me.  Regular trips to the nurses station from those. Probably why they don't have them anymore.  I've seen a new "safer" version though...====JACK:  My sister never wanted to get on the teeter totter with me, because she was afraid that I would get off when she was in the "up" position.  It's too bad you never had the experience of having a big brother.====LBP:  Being the big sister was experience enough

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  A rather chaotic seesaw these days, but then, I suppose every century has felt that way; It does seem America is on a downward spiral ecologically, politically, economically, and morally, but God is still God, with us and among us on the teeter-tottering world! We hold on to that!====JACK:  Yes, God is with us and will see us through...BUT...Mother Teresa's quote comes to mind.  “I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.” ====OAKS:  I'm with you on that!!  God does not save us from our mistakes and poor decisions...!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Yes, I did. Used to jump off when the other guy was "up." Good lesson learned because I did it in business regularly.====JACK:  When the economy (stock market) is going up, most want to hang in one more day and one more day after that, and all of a sudden it's too late.  Someone has jumped off of the seesaw while we were up in the air.  As the old saying goes:  "Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Loved the seesaw except if someone jumped off it while I was in the air!====JACK:  You're not the only one who's had that experience...I'm sure!

No comments: