Tuesday, May 30, 2017

?Jack’s Winning Words 5/30/17
“One message at just the right moment can change your entire day.”  (Megan Murphy)  The 1st e-mail message was sent in 1971: “QWERTY(U)IOP,” or something like that.  E-mail ushered in a whole new form of communication.  It’s estimated that 269 billion e-mails are sent each day. But, I would say that the most welcomed message for most of us is a handwritten letter.  Here’s an idea!  Pick out someone and change their day by writing them a personal note, letting them know that you’re thinking about them…that is, if you can find a stamp.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  this all reminds me of the first phone call ever made between Bell and Watson.  how technology has changed our world and our lives.  some for the better and some not for the better...====JACK:  My impression is that the modern pastor tends to spends too much time at the computer.  Am I just an old fogey?====SP:  you are sooo correct, my old wise friend!   one of my challenges was to tell the staff to "get out there with the people" and develop those all-important relationships.  the church, after all, is a family;  an organism and not just an organization.  we have now raised a whole generation that lives and dies by the "screen" thinking this is their essence of life.  i also wonder if this screen addiction isn't also promoting a introverted person,  just the opposite of what parish leadership needs most.  my two cents.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I just sent a hand written letter to Fred Overdier...he was in the hospital. ====JACK:  What's his phone number.  Or, maybe I can Google it.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA:  Good morning, Jack. Good advice!  I still send handwritten notes from time to time — mostly on birthday cards and thank-you’s. But I also find that physical letters, signed by hand, are very effective for making business connections with people in senior management (which is where we sell Teamability).====JACK:  It's all about the personal touch.  Our pastor is very good at that.  Personal acknowledgement notes, handwritten and signed and addressed by him.  In the businessworld (and in church) people could benefit from taking a course in "little things that can make a big difference".  ====MT:  That would be a great title for a seminar…or a TED Talk.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Good idea...then expect an email..."just got your note in the mail...Is something wrong?"====JACK:  Yes, a hand addressed and written would certainly get attention.  Going back to the days long before e-mail, letters usually meant news.  A song that I know is an example of this.  "The Letter Edged In Black"====PAUL:  Well.. that was thought provoking!
  ====JACK:  Does that mean that I'm a provocateur?

I was standin' by my window yesterday morning
Without a thought of worry or of care
When I saw the postman comin' up the pathway
With such a happy face and jolly air.

He rang the bell and whistled as he waited
Then he said; "Good morning to you, Jack"
But he little knew the sorrow he had brought me
When he handed me a letter edged in black.

With trembling hand I took this letter from him
I broke the seal and this is what it said:
"Come home my boy, your dear old father wants you
Come home my boy, your dear old mother's dead."

I bowed my head in sorrow and in sadness
The sunshine of my life, it all had fled
When the post man brought that letter yesterday morning
"Saying come home my boy, your dear old mother's dead."

"The last words your mother ever uttered
Tell my boy I want him to come back
My eyes are blurred, my poor old heart is breaking
So, I'm writing you this letter edged in black."

"Forget those angry words that we had spoken
You know I didn't mean them, don't you, Jack
May the angels bear as witness, I am asking
Your forgiveness in this letter edged in black."

FROM DR:  Dear Jack,  What is your address so I can send YOU a personal note? 😝====JACK:  5644 Dunmore Dr   West Bloomfield, MI 48322.  One of my favorite things to do each day is to watch for the mail carrier.  Now, I'll wait, expecting more that just advertising stuff and requests for money.

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  The advantage in not being an early riser is that there are some good responses to your daily words long before I get up and online any day.  When I counted more than 50 birthday names on my list, I switched to colorful card stock with matching envelopes and hand-written notes.  I also included a crisp dollar bill (although a worn one will get the same response).  The reactions have ranged from sincere appreciation to questions about what to do with the dollar.  I suggested that the dollar be used any way they wish--including buying a lottery ticket.  The written message gets higher praise than the dollar.
P.S.  Being a modest man, you omitted the U on the Qwerty line.====JACK:  Who would notice the missing U?  You!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  One  of my responsibilities at church is to send cards and notes to Nursing home residents, home-bound, those ill or celebrating special occasions, etc.in our church family, so I always 'can find a stamp"! It's time consuming  but very much appreciated, especially, as you noted, when you write a personal note with it.  When I returned from Chicago this weekend, there were 2 postcards from my traveling, rock and MT. climbing,nurse granddaughter! What a day brightener! :-)====JACK:  You are the consummate "Church Lady"!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Great idea!  I will do just that!  Thanks!====JUDY:  Did you write a letter today?====JACK:  Even before I read your response, I was thinking: "I really should write a letter, too!"  Today is yesterday's tomorrow!"

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Agreed.  And yours often do just that.

FROM JB AT LSTC:  Sorry that this is not a handwritten note, but I thought I’d let you know that I still send handwritten notes. During my niece’s four years in college, I sent her a card or note each week. She often forgot to pick them up from the mailbox and would get three at a time. I wanted to do for her what my aunt had done for me when I was in school – let her know that I was thinking about her and to stay connected in that physical way.  I also send handwritten letters my members of congress and the president so they know it’s a real human being writing the letter. I hope that makes them pay attention.====JACK:  My grandmother sent me a beautiful hand-written letter when I was ordained.  It's in my 4-drawer file somewhere.  (I've got to search for it one of these days.)  Her grandson (a Catholic priest) and I conducted her funeral shortly after I received that letter.


 


No comments: