Friday, April 07, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 4/7/17
“Nothing recedes like success.”  {Walter Winchell)  There’s a Latin phrase, similar to this quote, “Sic transit gloria mundi,” worldly glories are soon gone, or, what have you done for me lately?”  When you live long enough you get used to change.  Walk through any cemetery.  “Here today, gone tomorrow.”  Winchell used to be a famous radio personality, but how many of you remember that?  Even today will become a history footnote.  Time marches on.    ;-)  Jack      

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  What time do you go to bed????  8:00 PM???? It's too early to think. I am still up working and getting ready to retire for the night!!!!!====JACK:  In order to get my "words" out to you and others...to bed about 10:30 pm and up (without an alarm clock) at 4:30 am.  I write my stuff, usually a week in advance.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I remember his broadcasts..."to all the ships at sea"====JACK:  His rapid-fire delivery sounded like the pounding of typewriter keys.  Winchell's downfall came when he bought into Sen. Joseph McCarthy's Communist witch hunt.

FROM DM AT LIV:  Some may look at this and feel sad.  I look at this and think…don’t sweat the small stuff and keep your eye on the ultimate Prize.====JACK:  Illness caused a woman to make many trips to the hospital, but while there, she always tried to cheer up others.  As she registered on one occasion she was heard to say, "I wonder what God has for me to do this time?"  Much of the time the quality of our life depends on our attitude.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  "Your 15 minutes of Fame" is about right.When I showed my music classes the movie "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" I introduced it telling them the BING CROSBY was the narrator and singer in this cartoon depiction of Ichabod  Crane's adventures. They looked at each other in puzzlement, like "WHO"S Bing Crosby??!"...It dawned on me that their grandparents could tell them!  :-(====JACK:  We have a channel on our TV which plays uninterrupted showtunes and swing with no commercials (24-7).  I don't think that they get many high school listeners.


No comments: