Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 4/4/17
“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”  (Carl Sagan)  Are you familiar with the term, Luddite?  It refers to someone who’s opposed to new technology, like driverless cars.  A Luddite is opposed to robots in factories.  And how about the new robot who’ll play ping pong with you?  Scientists are now working at developing a manufactured eye, growing human organs, bringing back the woolly mammoth…and stuff like that.  Are you a Luddite?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  Trying not to be ... but realize daily how I'm falling behind on tech. A friend at work chuckled at me when he sent a twitter link to a science article that I should read. I don't have a twitter account. But now it's something I'll have to learn ... for work!  Now is when I want to bust out the "i remember when I got my first email account" stories. But this easy connection is what will let me telework and not move jobs though I'm moving cities. So I can't be a grumbling Luddite. ====JACK:  I avoid putting Winning Words on Facebook, because the e-mail blog seems more personal to me.  For the same reason, I don't Tweet, either...to much ME and not enough WE.  ====LBP:  I remember finding you on email way back when I got my first email account. Were you doing WW mailings already then? I remember spending a long time drafting those email letters to you. I think you gave me a little ribbing for the ridiculous formality that gave to the text. Ha! Now I'm typing this on my phone while walking on the treadmill in my basement. No more special trips to the university computer lab!====JACK:  The early days with the computer...like riding a bike with training wheels!

FROM HONEST JOHN:  W/o that technology, I would be stone deaf.   I have a cochlear implant.    We just have to adjust to it...and find a way to deal with the financial and ethical consequences. ====JACK:  The next needed break-though...how to make implants like yours (and other advanced medical care) available to all who need it...instead of spending the dollars on military stuff.  I will always remembering the warning by General Eisenhower..."Beware of the military-industrial complex!"====HJ:  Isn't it interesting that our great generals ....Washington, Jackson, Grant, Eisenhower...all, when elected President....cut back on our military.   The draft dodgers have tended to increase it.   Irony.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  And they thought Chester Gould was crazy when he gave Dick Tracy a radio wrist watch!====JACK:  Something that I look forward to is teletransporting.  For now, it's science fiction..like Dick Tracy's watch was.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I'm not a Luddite when it comes to robots and progress but messing with making hybrid babies makes me a Luddite!!====JACK:  If your child's gene pool had a gene that anticipated cerebral palsy (for example), would you approve of genetic engineering that would remove that gene?====JUDY:  Health issues are entirely different story.  But trying to have a little boy with blond hair and blue eyes....designer children...is utterly ridiculous and unacceptable.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  One of my grandsons is working with robots, and it all sounds very interesting.  Otherwise, science is not my forte.  I prefer the simple life but the new electronic stuff is fascinating.====JACK:  Someday I'd like to ride in a driverless car.


No comments: