Monday, April 03, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 4/3/17
“Baseball season is here.  I think I’m going to cry.”  (Charlie Brown)  Is there anyone reading this who cannot sing, “Take me out to the ball game?”  I was surprised to read that the song was written by two guys who’d never attended a ball game.  Harry Caray, Chicago Cubs’ announcer popularized singing the song at each game.  You can listen to him on YouTube.  After his death, celebrities like Ronald Reagan and the Goo Goo Girls were invited to lead the song.    ;-)  Jack

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  my song for the day will be,"the baseball game" from charlie brown's musical!====JACK:  I remember hearing that song for the first time.  It was in your family's living room....
"There is no team
Like the best team
Which is our team
Right here
We will show you
We're the best team
In the very Little League this year
An in no time we'll be big time
With the Big League baseball stars
For all we have to do is
Win just one more game...
...And the championship is ours!!"

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Remember last year we talked about the quote, “Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains”… Crash Davis   What was it that Ernie Harwell used to quote from  the bible I think, about the turtle and spring on his first game of the year.====JACK:
Ernie would begin the first spring training broadcast of each season with a reading from Song of Solomon 2:11-12 (KJV): "For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."  He is also the one who recommended that Jose Feliciano sing the National Anthem at a 1968 World Series game in Detroit...and he almost got fired because of that.  IMO, one of the great renditions of that song...ever!====HH:  I remember that it was Ernie that brought in Jose. I remember the grief he caught also, very unwarranted.  What does the voice of the Turtle refer to? Is that a reference to  God, Is it a reference to something else, or did turtles have voices then?====JACK:  Interesting!  "The voice of the turtle" translation probably should be, "The cooing of the dove."  It probably should read, "The voice (cooing) of the turtle(dove)."  That makes sense to me.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I hope the Cubbies can come close to 2016 wins.====JACK:  I saw my first Major League game at Wrigley Field.  My pastor drove me from Moline to Chicago and bought my ticket to see the Cubs...my favorite team.  What a great day!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's such a fun song!  We grew up with a "side lot"...that's what we called.  Now it's called "Chappel Field" after our family.  We played baseball everyday all Spring, Summer and Fall.  Our family would have huge backyard parties and all of us cousins, uncles, aunts and grandparents would play.  Even the little ones.  There would be galvanized buckets with beer in one and Faygo pop in another.  The BBQ would be going and hot dogs and hamburgers would be on.  Big bowls of potato salad and all the fruit and veggies you could eat.  Baseball was the main attraction.  But the highlight would be my grandpa's Model A.  We'd take turns getting rides in it and holding on to the sides and standing in the running boards!  Oh what wonderful times!!!  Take me out to the ballgame!!!====JACK:  Take me back to those times.  Memory is a  great gift.====JUDY:  Both Gary and I grew up with Grandpa's and Dad's who loved baseball.  There was always a Tiger Game on the radio during those summer days!====JACK:  Radio forced us to use our imagination, and that wasn't all bad.  Maybe this world needs more imagination.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Well, our Cubbies are off to a rough start, in their opening game with Cardinals, losing 4-3 in the ninth...:-( Think it's going to be pretty iffy batting in a "Re-peat" for the World Series, but too early to be discouraged, yet!:-)  Outhouse Judy's memories sound fun, re. baseball! Our big Blaser reunion in August always involved a family baseball game, including all ages, and it was a highlight, playing ball with our dads, grandpas, uncles and cousins. Not many of the women actually played, but cheered us on! Family Fun!  Bill and all the Oaks boys were catchers on their teams, and now my great g.son Tyler is an MVP catcher on his! (Mark's g.son). Yep! Baseball season is here, once again! Cheers!====JACK:  My favorite season was 1984 when the Tigers were never behind in the standings and won the World Series continuing never to have to catch up to someone.  I have a newspaper front page hanging on my wall which reads..."Gr-r-r-reat!", probably mimicking Tony the Tiger's famous line.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Those two guys were misguided. They didn't realize how lucky they to not have attended. Watching baseball is like watching paint dry.====JACK:  If baseball isn't your favorite spectator sport, what is?  Personally, I prefer playing a sport, rather than watching it.

FROM JB AT LSTC:  I go back far enough to remember when Harry Caray was the announcer for the White Sox and Jack Brickhouse was the Chicago Cubs’ announcer. Harry Caray did his sing-a-long when he was with the White Sox. That’s when they still played in Comiskey Field, later US Cellular Field and now sadly named Guaranteed Rate Field.====JACK:  When I lived in Moline, the local baseball announcer was Bert Puckett.  He changed his name and went on to be the Chicago Cubs' announcer, Bert Wilson.  Did you know that?  ...and did you ever attend a Cubs' game on Ladies' Day when women would get in free?


No comments: