Friday, April 28, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 4/28/17
“I know I’m not perfect, but I can smile.”  (Dido)  A follow up to this quote might be…”I know that life’s not perfect, but I can smile.”  Charlie Chaplin wrote the song, Smile, which begins: “Smile though your heart is aching” and ends with “You’ll find that life is still worthwhile if you’ll just smile.”  BTW, smile, if you know who Dye-doh is!  At first I thought she was the Carthagean queen that Virgil wrote about.  What makes you smile today?    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL: good words, Jack.   for some folks today,  even a slight grin will do.====JACK:  ..or a wry smile.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Jack, one thing I remember about you is that you are usually smiling. ====JACK:  Do you remember the comic strip..Smilin' Jack?

FROM LBP IN TRANSITION:  Ha. She's a singer :)====JACK:  I wonder if she knows the song, "I Got A Gal In Kalamazoo?"====LBP:  Ha. Not sure. But we got got our house offer accepted in portage. So I'll have a little gal really near Kalamazoo ;)====JACK:  "Oh, what a gal, a real pipperoo."  Have you ever heard, or used the phrase, "a real pipperoo"?  Ask your mom or dad. ====LBP:  No I don't think I have. It will be a good word to use in the madlibs Verity has been doing in the car lately.====JACK:  Pipperoo:  A person or thing that is remarkable, wonderful, superior, etc; beaut, humdinger: Your wildest dreams are the pips!

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  Who is dye-doh?  I googled it and can't find out who it is.  I am smiling thinking I've been pranked.====JACK:  Dye-Doh is the phonetic spelling of Dido.  Now, Google, Dido.  (Ask your children who she is.)

FROM TARMART REV:  You just did!! 0;-)====JACK:  Will your car's review mirror show a smile as you drive to Michigan?

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Always like Jimmy Durante performing "Smile."   I have so many things to smile about - my wife, my children and grandchildren, my health, Winning Words........the list goes on.====JACK:  Jimmy didn't have much of a singing voice, but he really could sing a song with feeling!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Racist!====JACK:  I don't see the connection.

FROM AV DAVE:  I learned who she was today.  Didn’t know of her before!====JACK: I'm smiling.

FROM LH IN MICHIGAN:  I had a dear friend, who often said, “I know I’m not perfect; but parts of me are excellent”.  That always made me smile.  I remember the song “Smile”. I hadn’t realized it was Charlie Chaplin, who sang it. Thanks for triggering those memories.====JACK:  Your friend's quote are the title of a book by Ashley Brilliant.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I had no idea that Charlie Chaplin wrote the song "Smile tho your heart is aching"! (I  also was amazed that he is SIR Charles Chaplin! ) He once said "To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it." He must have been good at that, because he also said "A Day without laughter is wasted"....Quite a character!  Keep smilin'...====JACK:  Your "Keep smilin'" comment reminds me of the song about friends.  "Keep smilin', keep shinin'  Knowing you can always count on me for sure  That's what friends are for."  You probably know (and can sing) the whole song.

No comments: