Monday, April 24, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 4/24/17
“One of the greatest diseases is to be nobody to anybody.”  (Mother Teresa)  I saw an article, “What does it feel like to be homeless in America?”  The first answer was, “It feels like nobody cares.”  But somebody in New York City cared enough to start a Girl Scout Troop for 20 girls from a homeless shelter.  One of the scouts said, “The Troop makes us feel that we’re not alone.”  The homeless aren’t the only lonely people.  Try to be somebody to somebody today..    ;-)  Jack

FROM DR PHIL:  Great word today.  It is good to be somebody to someone.  God bless you. ====JACK:  Your ministry has touched many people in many ways...even as God has touched your life in many ways.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Mother Teresa was such an icon of caring; we visited her nursery in India for abandoned or orphaned babies (after she had died). 3 caring nuns giving love to wall to wall cribs with babies in them...overwhelming!  I'm sure this WW is so true; How blessed we are who have family and loving friends around us, and how important to spread that love to some who are so alone, in our churches and neighborhoods! Good reminder to be aware, and to care!====JACK:  Have you ever sung this song?  It has a Baptist ring about it...more so than Lutheran...but I learned it in Sunday School.  In fact, I still remember the tune.
1
Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth or song,
  As the burdens press,
  And the cares distress,
And the way grows weary and long?
  O yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
  When the days are weary,
  The long night dreary,
  I know my Savior cares.
2
Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
  As the daylight fades
  Into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?
3
Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
  When for my deep grief
  There is no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?
4
Does Jesus care when I’ve said “goodbye”
To the dearest on earth to me,
  And my sad heart aches
  Till it nearly breaks,
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?
====OAKS:  Oh my, I haven't sung or heard that hymn for years! I learned it in the Methodist church! But it is in some Baptist hymnals, as well; (the older ones, I'm afraid...!)   Thanks for bringing that song to my mind again!!====JACK:  Isn't it great to be able to remember?...and just to sing with no one listening?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Dean Martin's theme was "Everybody loves somebody, sometime." ====JACK:  You could easily change "loves" to "needs" and it would fit with today's thought.  Dean had a special way of singing that made the words seem personal.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Loneliness is a very diabolical disease, even bigger than homelessness.  Perhaps it is one of the prominently dominate disease in homelessness.  Overcoming loneliness is would solve many problems in this world today including homelessness.  It's acknowledging people as human beings no matter what the situation.====JACK:  I thought it was interesting that Mother Teresa called it a disease...the feeling that you don't matter to anyone.  But, on a lighter side...Did you and the other Girl Scouts ever sing...

Nobody likes me,
Everybody hates me,
Guess I'll go eat worms.

Long, thin, slimy ones,
Short, fat, juicy ones,
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms.

Down goes the first one,
Down goes the second one,
Oh, how they wiggle and squirm.

Up comes the first one,
Up comes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.
====JUDY:  Absolutely!  There's several we all still sing.  "Blue Jeans Tee Shirts" and  "Petunia Pop"...actually now that I think about it...there were tons of songs.====JACK:  How about making a Girl Scout Scrapbook with all the stuff you remember about scouting, even the names of some of the scouts and leaders...and especially the songs.  Both of our granddaughters were Gold Award Scouts.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Man, that is really sad====JACK:  What's really sad...over 4000 listings of shelters (some large hotels) in Queens, where the homeless scouts come from.  And...the President wants to spend money on a wall and more bombs.



 

No comments: